Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM

92 posts, read 315,860 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
We are in the process of replacing our aging (20 yr old) laundry center. Our old top-loader is on it's last legs, and dances around whenever we need to do laundry (not to mention terrible performance.)

We've kind of narrowed it down to the two following front-loader models:
- Whirlpool WFC7500VW Washer w/ Whirlpool WED7500VW Dryer
- Maytag MHWC7500YW Washer w/ Maytag MED7500YW Dryer

They are the same price.

It looks like these models may actually be the same (nearly identical dimensions, features, and model numbers.) If you look at pictures, they are identical (minus the different text fonts.) The only differences I was able to find was that the Whirlpool washer has a built-in heater, and the Whirlpool dryer has a small feature that cycles dried clothing until the door is opened.

I know that Maytag is actually owned by Whirlpool, but I'm not sure which would be better (or if there is any difference.) We ordered the Maytag (has yet to be delivered) but are contemplating switching for the Whirlpool. If they are the same, I wonder if one is built better than the other? I'm sure either model would outperform our current setup.

Outside of that, is the in-built heater worth it? We generally wash our clothing on cold, but it sounds like a good feature to have; especially considering that they are the same price.

Thanks.

Last edited by Randmness; 09-10-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Consumer Reports says

CR has not rated these compact washers.

CR says equal reliability between Maytag and Whirlpool.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I don't know how accurate this is, but here is a comparison of the washer models:

Whirlpool WFC7500VW vs Maytag MHWC7500YW in Washing Machines

Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I don't know how accurate this is, but here is a comparison of the washer models:

Whirlpool WFC7500VW vs Maytag MHWC7500YW in Washing Machines
Yea, I looked at that, and it isn't right. It doesn't help that they have different names for the same features. I was hoping to find some definitive information regarding the Maytag version. The only difference I found, was the inclusion of an in-built heater in the Whirlpool model.

There also seems to be a lot of average looking reviews scattered around the internet for the Whirlpool. Not much info on the Maytag. Reviews seems to vary wildly based on the website.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM

I was kinda suspicious of it, hence my disclaimer.

I have an LG front-loader (the model with steam) and like the fact that it has the built-in heater. I occasionally use the extra-hot water temperature setting for various things, like when I wash the covering for my dog's bed.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:43 PM

So after calling Whirlpool, it looks like this is a flub. The sales associate actually mentioned that their is no internal part listing for a heater on this model; despite it being listed on their website and every store that carries this washer. Lol.

It confirms my suspicions that they are the exact same model. Interesting enough, the Maytag version carries a higher review average than the Whirlpool on most sites. I wonder if they are built differently.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
It confirms my suspicions that they are the exact same model. Interesting enough, the Maytag version carries a higher review average than the Whirlpool on most sites. I wonder if they are built differently.
I bet they come off the same line in the same plant. I recall reading a few years ago after they all merged together that the only actual Maytag manufacturing plant left makes dishwashers.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I bet they come off the same line in the same plant. I recall reading a few years ago after they all merged together that the only actual Maytag manufacturing plant left makes dishwashers.
That's what I also thought. During my quest for info, I saw another model, that looked exactly the same but with different font as well. I'm guessing they just change the fonts to differentiate between models.

We are kind of limited in space so there were only a few models we were looking at for a replacement. While it would be nice to have the in built heater option, it wasn't a must-have for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House