Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in painting the place I just bought. It seems like a fun, creative project for me. I haven't done much of this before. Can I pay someone to just do the skill work? That should mostly be cutting in the ceiling. I've ripped out the base molding and the carpet will be gone. Any ideas about this?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Sure - why not?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Sure, but there will probably be a minimum charge. You might want to roll everything you can and then call them to complete it. I plan to do similar when we paint the exterior of our house. I can easily reach probably 90% of the house, but the second story front eaves and gable are a bit higher than I want to climb up and try to paint. I expect to pay a good price for it, but at least I will get my whole house done for a lot less than a pro to do all of it. And I will take my time to do it right.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I'm interested in painting the place I just bought. It seems like a fun, creative project for me. I haven't done much of this before. Can I pay someone to just do the skill work? That should mostly be cutting in the ceiling. I've ripped out the base molding and the carpet will be gone. Any ideas about this?

Fun???? Creative???? You obviously haven't painted before!

After the first half-hour it is mind-numbing work....but it is easy...even cutting...you can get the hang of it in minutes. As good (or as fast) as a pro-painter?...no, but whats the difference?

As you your question: I would guess you'll have problems getting a painter to come over to quote you for the work....probably not big enough of a job for them to bother with, unless it is the whole house. And even then it probably wouldn't be much more to have them do all the painting.

I'd either have them do all the painting, or just do it myself.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
My house just got a complete repaint. I did two of the bedrooms myself. I hired a painter for the rest because the rest of the rooms have vaulted ceilings and lacked the equipment to do the job safely and properly.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:37 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Just use a roller pad to cut in along the ceiling line.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The OP pretty clearly has never even read a paint can becuase every brand of paint that I have seen specifically warns against allowing the paint to partially dry and then come back and do a partial coat -- it is imperative to maintain a "wet edge" or every little speck along the areas that have been cut in first will look horrible -- like a preschool drawing where the kid outline everything in crayon one direction then fills in going another way...

Take the time to learn how to do this slowly and you can probably DIY. No honest painter would allow you pay them for a job that will look terrible -- it would frankly hurt their ability to get other work!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I've been a self-employed painting contractor since 1979.

No. To the OP. I have never been asked to do this, best I can recall. I would refuse. Although I have been asked to do some areas in or on a home (usually high or vaulted walls, tricky exteriors, that sort of thing) while the homeowner does the "easy" parts or the parts that don't require big ladders or extra expertise.

chad everett has it right, at least from my perspective. If I'm hired to do the job, I want it to be done RIGHT. Which means I (and/or my crew) handles the prep, covering, purchasing the paint and applying it correctly, clean-up, everything.

I simply wouldn't come in and do cut-in or high parts and leave the rest to the homeowner. I just would not. Now, many homeowners do a very good job, sometimes a very impressive job! But pretty much, if I am contracted to paint an area, I will do the whole thing start to finish and will stand behind my work. I admit that I am picky about my finished product.

You can certainly find painters on craigslist, I am sure, that would do the high cut-in and let you do the rest.

Now...if I liked you and work was slow (like, January or February!) then I would work with a homeowner side by side and make sure they do the job right, with me in charge. I have done this. That is sort of fun. But I'd be in charge, and the job would be done to my specs from start to finish so it would turn out beautiful and everyone happy.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Can you pay them? The answer is yes. How much money would you save is another issue.

The cost of a paint job is not the paint. Simply rolling paint on a flat wall is easy and fast. Basically any DIYer can do it.

The prep work is critical and often one of the major cost (time) factors as is cutting in the edges. Prepping and cutting in angled edges while on a ladder is the most time and equipment consuming aspect of a paint job. Do not expect "much" of a deal on just doing the "hard" part versus do the whole job.

Like you diagnose and repair my car but I will lift and lower the hood for you so I want a discount.....LOL

Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Painting isn't difficult. I've done plenty of it.

However, if you are disabled in any way (like a bad back), your hands shake, or you just don't have the energy to go up and down ladders, hire someone. Interview a couple of different companies, check on-line reviews, and don't go with the cheapest bid.

I think the next time I want to paint a whole room, rather than just an accent wall, I'm going to hire someone. Not because I can't do it myself, but because I don't want to any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House