Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 06:28 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

I would like input on anyone who has taken part in the class action suits against various siding companies.

There are a number of companies that you can go through to file a claim, but it seems that this can be done on your own. What are the pros and cons of using a company (other than their fee)? Do they just file the calim form for you? I don't know what else they could do, as you would have to be there for the inspection.

For those class actions suits that have expired, I have seen that there is still some recourse. Any experience with this?

While there are numerous companies affected, it appears that the two major ones in my area are Masonite and Georgia Pacific.

I appreciate any first-person information on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:15 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Please keep any responses to general terms.

Any responses making unproven allegations of impropriety against a person or corporation will be deleted due to libel concerns.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
Cornerguy1 -- are you asking us from refraining comment on masonite hardboard siding produced by Masonite Corporation? The class action lawsuits and subsequent settlements that have been approved by the courts are a matter of public record.

I got a bunch of mailings about my masonite siding, however, the one company that came out did not detect any failures in the masonite. I thought it was a waste of time. Recently, though, I have noticed some delamination. I'm hiring a contractor to go ahead and replace the damaged areas with hardiplank.

I hope to have money to replace the entirety of masonite siding on my house in the near future (before it all rots).

Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
Sadly, just having a class action settlement does not legally prove anything. I ran into this recently with a home inspector and PB plumbing. The settlement means no one admits wrongdoing, and, in my example, PB piping can only be "alleged to be defective," despite two class action settlements and millions of $$ paid out to replumb homes. So, in a way, Cornerguy is right. As frustrating as it can be for us consumers. *sigh*

Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
rubytue, you are spot on.

I am just asking whether it's permitted to speak about negative personal experience with a product without alleging impropriety against persons or corporations.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Quote:
Cornerguy1 -- are you asking us from refraining comment on masonite hardboard siding produced by Masonite Corporation? The class action lawsuits and subsequent settlements that have been approved by the courts are a matter of public record.

I'm asking that responses not include unproven allegations of impropriety, negligence, etc, because City Data does not need the legal exposure such allegations could bring.

A discussion about the details of an approved settlement is fine so long as it sticks solely to the public aspects of the settlement.

Relating a personal experience like "My siding is delaminating" is also acceptable so long as it doesn't end up being a lengthy rant.

We're not trying to cramp your style, jinxor, but City data needs to cover it's butt in this rather litiginous age.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
We had the house we currently live in, custom built in 1990. We have had the house painted and it was time to re paint. I noticed we had some rotted siding so I looked up the class action lawsuit on line.

I pulled off the rotted board and saw the name of the company, just as the website said.

I got the claim forms and filled them out. Probably took about 30 minutes.

A few weeks later, an "inspector" called to tell me he was coming out to see the siding.

He showed up, on time, took about 20 min. to look around the house. They have a formula that they calculate how much of the siding is the problem and how much they'll pay you for the repairs.

We then received a check in the mail. By signing the check, we certified that we were accepting their settlement. Once the repairs were done and we sent them proof, they sent the remainder. The total was about $1100 in all.

From what I understand, the companies that file FOR YOU do nothing more than fill out the paperwork and keep part of your money. I would recommend you take care of it yourself.

Siding requires maintenance. You really should walk around your house twice a year and make sure the nail heads are calked. Water is the enemy of this type of siding.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House