Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

I am surprised at the comments about dry air and uneven heating in forced-air systems. Maybe I got used to it as that was used in most places where I grew up, but I never noticed the heat turning on/off -- i.e. no blower noise (or again maybe it's something you get used to very quickly, or at least I must have!). I also have never used a humidifier -- never needed one.

I also never notice the room temperature changing drastically in a forced-air system. I know it must change a few degrees (i.e., warm air stops coming out of the vents, it gets a bit cooler, then it comes back on) but I never noticed that either.

What I really DID notice was wall space COMPLETELY taken up by the baseboard units (which I do think are really, really ugly). I know some of you have said you put furniture in front of your baseboard units ... but if you want a wall of bookcases (as I did -- actually SEVERAL walls of bookcases), you simply can't do that -- all the heat disappears behind the furniture. I know, 'cause that's what my apartment was like my first year here in New Hampshire (before I bought a house) -- I had gotten the floor plans from the apartment manager but arrived to see walls and walls and walls taken up by baseboards. I had no choice -- I put the bookcases in front of them anyway. Not very efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:40 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Baseboard heating is cheaper to install. In the Sun Belt, it's electric, because it isn't used that much. My parents had it in their first house (not in the Sun Belt) and it was not electric.

".
Actually, in the Sun Belt you rarely see any form of baseboard heating, since there is ductwork present in most homes for air conditioning, thus the ductwork will also generally be used for heating. Typically heating in the Sun Belt is either a forced air gas furnace or a heat pump.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
you simply can't do that -- all the heat disappears behind the furniture.
You're not really losing anything, just takes longer for the heat to get into the living space, heat doesn't disappear unless it goes outside. And you could do that if you could build or buy custom bookcases. Instead of bottom shelf you'd inuslate the shelf above and the floor below it. Put a nice decorative screen to cover it, now you a bookcase radiator.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
I've grown up in New Hampshire with hot water/baseboard heating. For me there is nothing like that night in the fall, usually early October, when you turn the heat on for the first time for the heating season. First you hear the water gurgling through the piping. Then there's that half burnt half warming smell. You wait a little while, put your hand near the baseboard to make sure it's warming up. Then about an 45 minutes to an hour later you have your sweatpants and hoodie on laying on the couch with the family, watching a movie, preferrably a John Wayne movie, and the the glorious warmth of your own home envelops you.

I know some of you may not get it but it is a time honored ritual in our family.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I have it and don't find it that ugly. I like the fact that it's white because it provides contrast wit the walls. Everyone has their own taste though. Personally I can't stand wood finish window and door trim. It has to be bright white for me.

yes, I would agree if it was a "fancy type" of moulding, but baseboard heating is ugly, there would be no reason to want to contrast it, I would want to conceal it as much as possible.

oh well, JM worthless O

I like my trim the same color as the walls, I hate bright white.....I guess we are not a match?

I do think though, baseboard heating makes the room more heat level, is that a good phrase? maybe heats more evenly I think
where as forced hot air thru a vent under the window heats that area more.....

Old 09-25-2013, 06:19 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
All the trim in our house is white, my mil's house is wood. I prefer white, I grew up with it. Our baseboards are all white and I'm glad. Most of the time when I see them painted it looks like an afterthought and the paint is streaky, full of drips, and just ugly. Plus with our white trim it matches the flow.

Growing up with baseboard in all my houses except our last one I don't even notice it. But when we were looking for our home it was on the want list along with natural gas, city sewer/water, and a few other items.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Baseboard heating was sleek and modern versus old radiators. To me is screams of no central air and as such, not a home I would be buying even "up north".

Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, I would agree if it was a "fancy type" of moulding, but baseboard heating is ugly, there would be no reason to want to contrast it, I would want to conceal it as much as possible.

oh well, JM worthless O

I like my trim the same color as the walls, I hate bright white.....I guess we are not a match?

I do think though, baseboard heating makes the room more heat level, is that a good phrase? maybe heats more evenly I think
where as forced hot air thru a vent under the window heats that area more.....

The door and window trim the same color as the walls? I have never even heard of such a thing. To me it sounds ridiculously absurd.

I guess we all have our own opinions as to what is asthetically pleasing and functional in a home. There are very few rooms left in my home after having moved in five years ago where the influence of the previous owner can be seen.

We've kind of drifted from the original topic but no one seems to mind so I'll throw this one out there for everyone.

Kitchen floors...... hardwood, tile or something else? Personally I loathe wood floors in a kitchen. Nothing but tile for me.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
The door and window trim the same color as the walls? I have never even heard of such a thing. To me it sounds ridiculously absurd.

I guess we all have our own opinions as to what is asthetically pleasing and functional in a home. There are very few rooms left in my home after having moved in five years ago where the influence of the previous owner can be seen.

We've kind of drifted from the original topic but no one seems to mind so I'll throw this one out there for everyone.

Kitchen floors...... hardwood, tile or something else? Personally I loathe wood floors in a kitchen. Nothing but tile for me.
yes, what is so odd about that?. What would make it ridiculously absurd? I "get", not likeing it, but absurd???

Most of the people that I know, family / friends / neighbors, in our region up here in Brooklyn, Staten Island, Long Island, Queens all have the trim around the walls and doors painted the same color as the walls especially when the trim is just plain non descript.

now my BIL does have the colored walls with all the white trim, but his trim work is a little more elaborate and decorative so I kinda understand wanting to contrast it and show it off.
But seeing it, to me it looks like everything is outlined in white and looks horrid, again, just my taste.

It is only since the HGTV thing that people are now painting their trim white.

i think if they ,ade the baseboard heating things a little more slimmer they would look better. most of the home that i have been in where they have it, one is always dented, or something is missing.
it is just plain ugly though.

I have wood kitchen floor, love it. Looks great and is durable, but not water friendly,that i will give you.
I hate ceramic tiles, they are cold to walk on, and cold to look at.
I'm am really going to throw you over the edge now, I have a wood floor in the bathroom also.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, what is so odd about that?. What would make it ridiculously absurd? I "get", not likeing it, but absurd???

Most of the people that I know, family / friends / neighbors, in our region up here in Brooklyn, Staten Island, Long Island, Queens all have the trim around the walls and doors painted the same color as the walls especially when the trim is just plain non descript.

now my BIL does have the colored walls with all the white trim, but his trim work is a little more elaborate and decorative so I kinda understand wanting to contrast it and show it off.
But seeing it, to me it looks like everything is outlined in white and looks horrid, again, just my taste.

It is only since the HGTV thing that people are now painting their trim white.

i think if they ,ade the baseboard heating things a little more slimmer they would look better. most of the home that i have been in where they have it, one is always dented, or something is missing.
it is just plain ugly though.

I have wood kitchen floor, love it. Looks great and is durable, but not water friendly,that i will give you.
I hate ceramic tiles, they are cold to walk on, and cold to look at.
I'm am really going to throw you over the edge now, I have a wood floor in the bathroom also.
The trim must be a regional thing. I've never been to Brooklyn or Staten Island but I have been in many, many homes here in New England and have never seen the trim the same color as the walls. To me it's downright bizzare. Up here it's either wood finish or white and it's been that way forever. ZERE IS NUZZING ELSE!

I don't care for the way wood looks in a kitchen. When I think living room or family room i think wood and when I think kitchen I think tile. To each his own.

Again with the baseboard heating, I guess I'm just used to it having grown up in New England. it doesn't bother me at all and if it's missing pieces or is dinged up that's the owner being lazy. i think it's looks decent when it's brand new or refinished. I take mine off, sand it down and paint every couple of years or so. Looks fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House