U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM

2,278 posts, read 4,522,171 times

Advertisements

Where do you store the vacuum cleaner, especially if you don't have a utility room or utility closet?

Right now, mine is taking up space in my bedroom closet, and it's making me tempted to switch to a Roomba.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM

21,870 posts, read 14,371,060 times
One is in the coat closet on the first floor and the second one is located in the guest bedroom closet.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM

39,249 posts, read 69,735,733 times
I don't put it away unless I'm getting company; that way I'm more inclined to actually use it.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 PM

3,152 posts, read 6,210,059 times
Because my wife has big-time OCD, we have multiple vacuum cleaners. She thinks that using the vacuum cleaner on the carpet in our family room where the dog spends most of her time, or in the guestroom/office where our cats seem to hang out the most - and then using the same vacuum cleaner in another part of the house will somehow make the other part of the house dirtier. I have given up.

So, that being said, I can't go anywhere without seeing one. When I mention putting them in closets (we have an abundance of closets in this house), I am rebuffed and told they are used too often to justify that.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM

22,602 posts, read 29,196,304 times
In the mud room. It's right off my kitchen.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM

13,917 posts, read 24,288,265 times
One of the several odd things about our current house is the dedicated vacuum closet on the first floor. I can't think of another single thing it could be used for. It's small, and tall, and the vacuum fits perfectly inside.

We have a 2nd vacuum on the second floor, and keep that in the master closet, which is huge.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 PM

15,634 posts, read 23,018,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
... it's making me tempted to switch to a Roomba.

Warning: One Roomba is too many and a dozen Roombas wouldnt be enough I have 8 Roombas, one for each room and the garage. I love, love, love them. I've bought almost all of mine on eBay (new in box). The older models are better, IMO, than the newer ones.

I used to have a Scooba (floor-washing robot) too and, while it was good, it didnt compare, in terms of efficiency, to the Roomba.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,459,920 times
I live in Southern Arizona, so we don't have too many coats. The ones we keep can easily fit in our clothes closets. So I outfitted the coat closet in the front hall of my house for various items that don't have an obvious home, including the vacuum cleaner and the steam cleaner I use on my porcelain tile floors.

Here's how I organized that closet. I took a couple of those hanging canvas units you can buy for sweaters and hung them on the rod, creating shelves. I use one for stuff we need to grab when going outside: hats, totes, sun screen, folding umbrellas, etc. The second one is used to store items for my table. Napkins, placemats. runners, etc. I roll them and keep them on the shelves. I have a couple of tablecloths ironed and draped on big hangers. On the rod I also have two other hangers, each with a big shopping bag hooked to it. In one I keep folded up brown grocery bags, in the other I keep shopping bags that I recycle. In other words, bags of bags. I find it very convenient to always be able to access an appropriate bag. And bags seem to be needed most often as someone is walking out the door, so the coat closet is a good place. As I mentioned before, I keep my floor cleaners, as well as one of those big plastic units designed to contain gift wrap on the floor of that closet. On the upper shelf, I keep my "good" dishes — the china and glassware I use for special occasions — in the fabric storage boxes sold for that purpose.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...ng+Sweater+Bag
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...a+Storage+Sets
Quilted Cotton Stemware Storage Chest - BedBathandBeyond.com

Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 AM

39,249 posts, read 69,735,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
One of the several odd things about our current house is the dedicated vacuum closet on the first floor. I can't think of another single thing it could be used for. It's small, and tall, and the vacuum fits perfectly inside.
It's a broom closet, so you're using it for its intended purpose.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM

5,114 posts, read 15,957,598 times
Coat closet in the hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House