Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 16,371 times

Advertisements

I have a 1850 square foot home, built in 1983, and I want to add blown in insulation to the attic, however I have a problem. My sofitt vents have been completely blocked by insulation batts when the house was originally built (i'm assuming the person that did it had no clue what they were doing). The batts are also in an area of the house with high ceilings, and it is virtually impossible for me to crawl down to where the vents are due to the angle of the ceiling and 2x4's in the way, I also tried pulling the insulation out by hand through the sofitt vent but was unable to grab the whole batt, just a few broken off pieces. The house has two gable vents on each end of the house, the only other option I could think of would be to add an additional gable vent on the front side of the garage to add more ventilation, i have no clue if this would help though. Right now the attic has about 6 inches of settled cellulose, and the fiberglass batts that are in the attic are double faced (paper on both sides), I read somewhere that you shouldn't add blown insulation to a batt that has paper on the side facing out due to moisture problems, however all of the batts up there are double faced (in the high ceiling part). Anyone have any thoughts or should I just forget about insulation all together? I'm stumped here....

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
The soffit vents need to be clear and of adequate size.
Whatever you have to do, like crawl up there and dig the batts out, must be done.

While in there and ant at each "rafter bay" put something in place to block the soffit.
It could be something as simple as cardboard or Tyvek stapled onto the framing
(at 18" or so and draped down)

Then add some more insulation material.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Yea, I tried to get out what I could, but believe me when I say I can't get to that area! Maybe an experienced insulation company could get to it :P Thinking this may be a job for the professionals I bought the styrofoam baffles at lowes for pretty cheap and even tried pushing them through the soffitt vent, but was unable to because the batts were stuffed in there so tight..ugh...

Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
You have 2 issues here:
The blocked soffit vents really are a problem that impede the design as intended. The cooler air is drawn through the soffit vents as the hot air exits the gable vents. Without proper flow you could have excessive moisture issues? Only you can make this call, because you've been up there (you could hire a lab to test). Don't discount removing, and patching drywall to open up these vents if you feel that strongly that it is clearly a problem. If it's been like this for many years, and moisture is not an issue than maybe it is acceptable for your geographic region.

I know on the West coast having exposed vapor barrier is not allowed. It typically must be in moderate contact with the ceiling drywall, or have a class 3 flame spread rating. This is typically called FSK, and a great example is what they wrap commercial sheet metal ducting with. It may have been code where you live when it was installed, and may be grandfathered under the eyes of the code. I'm just pointing it out as a possible issue.

Good luck to you resolving these problems!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwist01 View Post
Yea, I tried to get out what I could, but believe me when I say I can't get to that area!
Maybe an experienced insulation company could get to it....
Or approach it from the other end by opening up the bottom of the soffit.
But it really is needed.

Quote:
I bought the styrofoam baffle...
meh.

Staple something onto the face of the rafters as high as the insulation will be above the roof joists
(Tyvek, cardboard, visqueen --whatever you have) Keep the joist bay between the rafters open for
airflow but block the soffit from insualtion dropping down.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Or approach it from the other end by opening up the bottom of the soffit.
But it really is needed.

meh.

Staple something onto the face of the rafters as high as the insulation will be above the roof joists
(Tyvek, cardboard, visqueen --whatever you have) Keep the joist bay between the rafters open for
airflow but block the soffit from insualtion dropping down.
Just be sure that any material used is approved by the local JHA (jurisdiction having authority). Where I live cardboard is not allowed. If drywall is removed you surely want to do it correctly.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM

What about putting the blown in insulation over the paper faced batts? Is that allowed? Or would it be a bad idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House