Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 PM

58 posts, read 427,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
How about a thermostat lock.

Amazon.com: thermostat lock
Thats a bit passive agressive lol. I think that might cause other problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Window AC usage can be monitored using a "Kil-a-watt" The AC plugs into it, the KAW plugs into the wall socket. Window units are far less expensive to run than trying to cool the whole house. With a 12 mo lease, a window unit for the one room seems the best solution.

The power company will have records of the historical power usage at the house. Get a copy of those, then inform the hottie that you will pay power bills in relation to past usage +10%. If in October of last year 800KWH were used and 1600 were used this year, she is on the hook for 1/3 of the cost of the 880 KWH AND FULL COST of the extra 720 KWH.
Thats a good idea! IIl try to get copies of the bills. But I doubt she will wany to buy herself a window unit.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
That was just me being silly. I'm really not a grouchy person, honest! While calling them wimps was definitely hyperbole, I have absolutely noticed that people in general around here seem have a very, very low tolerance to cold. I've seen more than my fair share of people wearing hoodies and sweatshirts in 70 degree weather. I remember one of my old managers suffered from this problem. This guy was twice my size, muscular all over, and extremely fit. It was only around 68F outside, but he was shivering almost uncontrollably. I am actually genuinely curious how someone so buff and in shape could be that cold. Don't muscles generate a lot of heat? Maybe it has something to do with muscle mass to skin surface area? Oh well, that's even more off-topic, lol.

I wasn't joking about the hunger thing, btw. Sometimes it hits me so hard and so fast I feel extremely ill.
He probably has low iron.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So you admit it's your problem. That's a different tune than you were singing when you accused the roomie and the entire state of Oregon of being wimps for not wanting to live in 60 degree air conditioning.

See? Grouchy. AND dramatic, gurl. "Painfully hungry"?? LOL ok. Go see an endocrinologist. Not a family practice doctor.

Quick before Obamacare is in effect full force!

Well I dont live in oregon. I grew up there. My parents live there. Its home. But I went to school in the desert for 3 years. And now im in new orleans for grad school now.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Something about your post doesn't make sense! First of all, your profile indicates you live in Oregon. Forgive me, but it doesn't even get that hot there. And if your apartment is "incredibly well-insulated", it wouldn't be getting hot again in a matter of minutes in a cooler climate. Sure, you may have some warm days, and I understand you want to be cool on those days. Hopefully you never are in a situation where you have to live in AZ or TX or most places in the South! You would then learn to keep it at a reasonable temp or face $800 electric bills in the Summer months.
I lived in zona and im in new orleans now.. My parents are in oregon. Its home. Butt im gone for school.

But $800. Ours wont bethat high in new orleans will it? Cause theres NO wAY I can afford that even once.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye22 View Post
I started school in New Orleans this past month and I moved in with the nicest roommate. The only problem is my roommate keeps turning the ac down to 65 degrees.*

I am FREEZING when she does this but I can put up with that. I just put on a sweat pants and a sweat shirt and socks whenever I am home. What scares me to death is what our electric bill is going to look like. I am a student and I cant afford much at all. If it were up to me Id keep the ac at 80 or 85.

As it is right now shell turn the ac to 65 and ill turn it up to 75 (even though 80 or 85 would be ideal for me bc I want to keep the cost low) then shell change it and its a cycle.*

What should I do to handle this situation? Am I being unreasonable or is she? Whats a reasonable temperatue.
IDK, I suspect it's around normal for many women. And A/C isn't that expensive, surprisingly enough. Maybe you could compromise with her and negotiate a setting of 68 degrees. I live in NM, have always kept my house at around 68, maybe 67, and my monthly bills for that have only been around $50 for major square footage.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Heh, this exact scenario occurs between me and my room mate. There are two air conditioners in our apartment and I keep them both at 60F whenever possible. I overheat very easily and have (perceived) difficulty breathing when it is very hot. (For the record, I am not overweight; I am in fact extremely trim and fit). She is always cold and keeps the house at 80F, which desperately, stiflingly hot to me. It makes me sweat profusely. She gets upset about it, but I have trouble empathizing. How can someone who isn't sick possibly feel cold at 60-65? A lot of the people around here seem to be that way for some reason, shivering uncontrollably from things as simple as going into a local gas station whose thermostat is set at 70F.
60 is freezing. Id shiver. Im used to the hot though. Its justwhat we are used to I guess. But she is from the south.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
75 at our house in summer
72 in winter

I wouldn't change it if my energy was free.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
How about a thermostat lock.

Amazon.com: thermostat lock
Perfect!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We keep our place at 66 during the day and bump it down to 64 at night to sleep better. I used to take it up warmer during the day but I found that it cost more and took longer to cool down because everything in the house was heated up.

We live in Florida, so ac is just a fact of life down here.

Don
Do you have fans? I think when air is circulating, you don't need to have it set so low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House