Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Young children will try to flush anything. It's good to always hang your keys out of reach of young children. Besides saving them from the toilet, they'll always be in the exact same location and so easy to find. Try to stress poopy, peepee, and TP only. Nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
All the comments about what should have been done are like closing the barn door after all the horses have gone. They don't fix the current problem. A wet/dry vac is a good idea, but not worth it if you have to buy or rent one. A big sponge is cheaper and for the most part, you're just dealing with water. Anything else will wash off with some soap.

As mentioned before, do a search of Youtube videos. Someone has posted a video on how to remove and replace a toilet. Watch it and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, call a plumber or a friend/family member who is willing to help. The hardest part will be removing the two bolts holding down the toilet, depending on their condition. Be prepared the replace them.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM

302 posts, read 368,736 times
wow
If u didn't get ur keys yet, try to straighten out a wire hanger except one end that you shape as a small hook . Then the person with the smallest arm should ( with a tee shirt on ) hold the far end and work it slowly in the drain of the toilet , which is really a big trap and try to 'fish' it out....it may be more down the drain than you can easily reach, be patient . (also, the reason to have the one with the smallest arm work on this )
Good luck !

Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Try to stress poopy, peepee, and TP only. Nothing else.
"I vomited, but only in the living room. I didn't get any in the toilet."

Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
All the comments about what should have been done are like closing the barn door after all the horses have gone. They don't fix the current problem. A wet/dry vac is a good idea, but not worth it if you have to buy or rent one. A big sponge is cheaper and for the most part, you're just dealing with water. Anything else will wash off with some soap.

As mentioned before, do a search of Youtube videos. Someone has posted a video on how to remove and replace a toilet. Watch it and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, call a plumber or a friend/family member who is willing to help. The hardest part will be removing the two bolts holding down the toilet, depending on their condition. Be prepared the replace them.
Okay, but I'm staying tuned to this thread because I want to know the outcome, it's very entertaining so far. I must lead a dull and boring life.

Another story; I worked at a Boys and Girls club years ago. The Boy's room had 2 toilets. One was clogged when I came to work one afternoon. I tried plunging it, no luck. The water went down, but really slow. I pulled the toilet to run a snake down the drain. When I took the toilet off, I had it tipped forward, and noticed a urinal block slide out of the trap, ahhhh haaaa! fixed. those naughty boys!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Not sure if it was mentioned yet but in addition to trying to fish them out with coat hanger you can try taping a really strong magnet to it.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
First try a wet/dry vac. If the keys are in the loop that may work. Next try a magnet attached to a plumber's snake or fishing hooks attached to a snake. When she drops something of greater mass you can try the wet/dry vac duct tapped to the up vent pipe. Home Depot rents a plumber's snake.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 PM

235 posts, read 1,578,202 times
Just saw this post.. Your little girl sounds like a plumbers best friend!! As was said earlier it is best to pull the toilet. Shut the water off, take the tank off the bowl, then un bolt the bowl from the closet flange and remove bowl. Flip it upside down and you should see the keys in the trap area, they will have to go out the way they when in so you will need a closet auger to push them back thru. Once you do that you can reset the bowl and tank, connect water and your finished..

I have seen just about everything possible get flushed by kids.. I too always thought it was fun to watch things disappear down them when I was little, but nowadays I see things a little different.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
I too have been following this thread... just out of curiosity of the outcome.

So, think the FOB buttons for the vehicle will still work?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I too have been following this thread... just out of curiosity of the outcome.

So, think the FOB buttons for the vehicle will still work?
Probably not.

If they think a plumber is expensive, wait til they see the replacement costs of those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House