Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM

165 posts, read 896,657 times

Advertisements

We had sprinkler system installed few yrs ago, and about 3-4 mos ago I began hearing a buzzing noise from the box that is very loud in our garage.

The noise goes away when the sprinklers are on, or when I cut the water supply to the sprinkler system, but is on all the time otherwise. The timing coincided with when we increased the amount of time the sprinkler system was on, but I have since cut back the time and am still getting the noise.

I have tried cutting the power to the sprinkler system and that doesn't affect the noise. It only goes away when sprinklers are on, or when I cut the water from main water line to the sprinkler system.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Since you've ruled out electricity, I'd guess water. Specifically I'd guess one of the valves is leaking and the water is making noise as it passes through the restriction.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Leaking valves would or could cause a chatter at the water valve but it wouldn't effect the control unit. It seems that you can't discount the electrical control unit making the noise. Yes, I read that the electrical was turned off however there might be a battery that continues to maintain some power to the transformer, clock, or other components in the control unit. It would be nice to know if the control unit is mechanical (non digital) or digital? Transformers can cause noise when they start to go bad.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Sprinkler control unit is digital, and at the time the noise started, landscaper said he "put a backup battery" in that was missing.

If there was a water leak, wouldn't I see it by now? Where would the water leak be? Anywhere along the sprinkler line?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Aksarben,

When you say "transformers can go bad," do you mean the sprinkler box control unit? Or main transformer to house?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:28 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cignalife View Post
Sprinkler control unit is digital, and at the time the noise started, landscaper said he "put a backup battery" in that was missing.

If there was a water leak, wouldn't I see it by now? Where would the water leak be? Anywhere along the sprinkler line?
The leak is likely from the main line into a distribution line and is probably so small you won't see anything.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
It is almost certainly an interaction caused by one of the relays that is probably is used to trigger some kind of a pump as well as the associated solenoids that open the valves. When the pump is off / valves closed the transformer is idling and the process of magnetostriction will cause an audible hum in the 100-600 hz range.

When the relay is energized the transformer is technically under load and the noise likely shifts to a part of the audio spectrum that is less noticeble.

Common events that happen during the manufacture of transformers can cause some units to hum much more loudly: Why transformers sometimes hum loudly...

You may be able to get a replacement transformer, an external relay or just a more acousticallly isolated controller housing made out of a heavier grade of plastic.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Aksarben,

When you say "transformers can go bad," do you mean the sprinkler box control unit? Or main transformer to house?
Transformer inside the control unit.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:

If you think there’s a water leak, make sure that there is no water demand going on inside the house. Then go to the water meter (usually outside) check the reading, after ten or fifteen minutes check the meter again. If you’ve got a leak the usage should show the difference, even if it’s a small amount.

I honestly fail to see how a water leak would cause noise at the control unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House