U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 10:00 PM

396 posts, read 1,780,439 times

Advertisements

I love lever-style handles on sink faucets!

I grew-up with the rounded knobs on separate hot & cold faucets. When I moved out on my own, just about all the apartments I lived in had the rounded handles too. Then I moved into an apartment for a year that had the two separate lever arms. After that year, I had to relocate to a different city for another job. The apartment I lived in had the rounded knobs again. I just didn't like them anymore; felt spoiled by the lever arms. Why:

1. Less mess on the faucet handles. Often I'd turn on the handle to discover the person who washed before me had jam or oil on their hands. Also, my sticky or greasy hands stay off the handle because I could turn on the water with my wrist.

2. Avoid salmonella bacteria getting on handles after preparing raw meat. I'd wash my hands with soap, but then turn off the round faucet knob that I had touched at the beginning. With the slide of my elbow, I can turn on the water without getting any bacteria onto the handles.

3. Same thing with other "germs" not touching the handle. (I guess there is too much paranoia with germs these days).

But most of all....

4. Lever handles are about the laziest way to turn on/off water without an automatic sensor!

Just recently bought my first home. First replacement after the locks: removed all the rounded knobs and installed lever handles!
Attached Thumbnails
Lever sink faucet handles-lever-arms.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 PM

3,163 posts, read 6,325,385 times
Every single faucet in my house has lever-style handles. I agree they are better overall, for the same reasons you cited.

One faucet did have round knob-style handles when I bought the place. But I ended up changing it out with a lever-style unit. It was missing the aerator, so I bought one at Lowes only to find out the threads for the aerator were stripped on the faucet, requiring a total replacement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House