Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,849,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm buying a new toilet seat and started wondering why they have lids since most people don't use the lids.
So you can lay your blowdryer on it. Unless you want to lay it on your wet vanity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,356 times
Why? To give women something else to complain about regarding men!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,453 times
I close lids all the time. It's because I don't want to be reminded what that porcelain thing is for every time I walk in to the restroom, even if I'm not going to ever use that toilet again. Closing the lid means you are done, that's it, and now you can forget what you were doing and move on with your life. Personally, I think only people who enjoy bathroom humor wouldn't care if the lid was up.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,192,426 times
the reason for lids is....what if the toilet got backed up?? plugged, doesnt work?? who wants to see whats floating??

in a public restroom,,, i always use my shoe to push up the lid, and to flush,,

Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,986,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
I close lids all the time. It's because I don't want to be reminded what that porcelain thing is for every time I walk in to the restroom, even if I'm not going to ever use that toilet again. Closing the lid means you are done, that's it, and now you can forget what you were doing and move on with your life. Personally, I think only people who enjoy bathroom humor wouldn't care if the lid was up.
I don't like bathroom humor, but I'm not that sensitive about what I "do" with a toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the reason for lids is....what if the toilet got backed up?? plugged, doesnt work?? who wants to see whats floating??
I'd never leave something floating in my toilet. If it gets backed up, plugged or doesn't work, I fix it. Fixing it often requires having the lid up.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM

41,934 posts, read 75,126,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
See how it's Bobbles' fault?
Poor Bobbles! Has she shown any interest or curiosity in the toilet at all? If not, the caution may not be necessary.

For instance, my cats are interested in the toilet only when I'm using it. But I got into the habit of closing the lid because of my childhood cat, who wouldn't drink water out of a clean dish, but would happily lean into the toilet for a drink.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,986,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Poor Bobbles! Has she shown any interest or curiosity in the toilet at all? If not, the caution may not be necessary.

For instance, my cats are interested in the toilet only when I'm using it. But I got into the habit of closing the lid because of my childhood cat, who wouldn't drink water out of a clean dish, but would happily lean into the toilet for a drink.
Bobbles is FASCINATED with the toilet. It's one of her favorite things. When we're using it, she's standing up looking behind where we're sitting. When we flush it, she's intrigued. If she's not in the room, she'll come running from anywhere in the house as soon as she hears it. Even when nobody is in the bathroom, she'll stand up and just stare down in there for eternity. She can just barely peer in there. Since she was feral, she's not afraid of water. She loves everything about water. But I still think the caution is unnecessary because our toilets don't have high water levels. She's too big to drown in there. The worst that can happen is she might end up not as interested in the toilet.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:14 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,628,587 times
They have lids so you can sit on it if the need arises. Also to keep any foreign objects from falling in. Also to keep pets out of it. It seems more hygienic to keep the lid down. I've learned to put it down before flushing #2, keeps contaminates from going into the air. Enough reasons? It looks better with a lid and a nice cover on said lid! I'm sure there are more but this should suffice!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,886,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I've read that you should always close the lid before flushing as the fecal material aerosolizes to some extent when you flush and adheres to tooth brushes, etc.

I know a woman who obsesses over this very matter. She is the GF of my best friend who lives in an old house his family has owned for over a century. Back then houses were designed and built more efficiently than today. The bathroom was built near the kitchen because that is where the sewage main was. People didn't run water supply and sewage drains all over back then because it wasn't necessary nor practical. His GF is going on forever how crap particles can be floating around and into everything in the kitchen. Nope, the door is auto closing so that is next to impossible.
We get a kick out of it. Why didn't people die from it a century ago?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,632,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I thought it was to contain sewer snakes and rats.
Exactly... I've gone into vacant homes and found large dead rats in toilet bowls...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House