Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:37 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,559,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Cover the durned thing with a wood rail.
I don't know about that, but at a certain point, it does seem like replacing is easier than painting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM

396 posts, read 1,847,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niubee43V3R View Post
Your way sounds like a total remake, can u guys suggest the quick and easier way?
IF you're looking for a very easy and inexpensive rust cover-up method:

I had similar rusting, but on my car window trim. I posted for advice on the auto forum, but the only suggestion was to pay for a pro to replace the rusted parts. I did more online research and came up with this: PlastiDip! Three months later and the parts still look great. PlastiDip comes in a variety of colors. Lots of YouTube videos show how to apply it. Works on a variety of items. $6 a can at Lowe's.

See my before and after PlastiDip photos on that thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ndow-trim.html

Again, this is a cover-up method - not a permanent fix to the rusting.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
I wish I have a tool collection like you guys do. Your way sounds like a total remake, can u guys suggest the quick and easier way?
Generally I never recommend cheap tools but in this case it's not something you will use a lot. You can get a grinder for about $14 at Harbor freight. The wire whell is probably going to cost you another $4.

Warning: Grinders are fairly dangerous tools. Make sure the wheel is spinning in a direction that if it gets away from you it's not going to bounce back at you. No loose clothing, hair, chains etc. Always unplug it before changing a wheel and when you lay it down make sure you lay it down on it's back.

Search results for: 'grinder'

You can actually kill two birds with one stone here and get polisher instead. They are bigger, bulkier, more expensive and don't work as fast as a grinder but since it's variable speed you can use it on your car.

Search results for: 'polisher'

Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Default No

Quote:
can u guys suggest the quick and easier way?
There is proper way to do it and many stupid ways.
Read #4 again.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,917,839 times
You do not sand (it takes a long time), do not paint over it either unless lazy comes to mind. If you want to keep it as original and repaint, soda blast it. Soda blasting will remove the rust (the type you described) is non-toxic and pretty easy to do. Then when you paint, it will look very nice and professional as opposed to ghettogineered.

You can pick up a soda blaster for less than a hundred bucks, complete with media. Think baking soda. While you wear a paper mask and eye protection, doing more than sharpening a pencil without that is foolish anyway.

Once you've done that you'll find lots of uses for a soda blaster when cleaning things. All your tools will always look new and the uses are limited by imagination.

I read # 4 and cringe. All those chemicals, might as well call the EPA. Lots of hard work too.

BTW, soda blasting does not harm the environment. It is very quick. If you are worried about clear plastic sheeting over the area you work (just covering the area, you are outside, makes a completely no mess solution. When done, you rinse away dry and prime/paint as usual.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,688,338 times
Sand blast the metal, then use a bonding agent, then exterior oil based paint. Works on horse trailers.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
LOL... now were up to sand blasting it.

This is small project right? Sanding is way too much work and gives you poor results unless you sand like a freak, sandblasting works really well bu that makes a giant mess and is gong to be expensive.

Again, grinder with a wire wheel.... you'll be done in no time and have it right down to bare metal. Watch how fast and easy...

Removing Paint and Rust From Metal with an Angle Grinder - YouTube

Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times
Lift the house on jacks, place it on a flatbed, bring it to an autobody shop, and have them do the job properly.

I too am getting a chuckle out of this thread. I remember at my parents house there was a bit of the cheap metal porch rail on the back stoop that used to get rust. Scraped off the bubbled paint, wire brushed the rusted area, slapped on some black rustoleum and in a couple three years the paint would have become grey and more bubbling would be starting, so I would rinse, lather and repeat. It took me longer to read the thread than do that job a couple of times.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:
You sprayed the whole rail not just the rusty spots right? And did you take off the rail or it's free standing? I could not take off mine, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the spray without the paint hitting on the ground, and off in the air as well.
Use tape and newspaper to cover the things you don't want to paint. That works really well for the ground. If you're painting something that has openings in it and you're worried about the spray paint going through the openings, put a cardboard behind the part you're spraying. Don't tape the cardboard on, just hold it in place and move it as needed.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM

445 posts, read 1,602,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL... now were up to sand blasting it.

This is small project right? Sanding is way too much work and gives you poor results unless you sand like a freak, sandblasting works really well bu that makes a giant mess and is gong to be expensive.

Again, grinder with a wire wheel....
This method works really well -- just PLEASE wear safety glasses - those wires come out and I have had them stick in my face... with my face it is no real loss YFMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House