Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 06:54 PM

120 posts, read 309,610 times

Advertisements

I want to prep and paint the ceiling above the stairwell.

Since I do not have a ladder yet, I am considering one of the Little Giant ladders as they seem very versatile.

I also see that Werner makes a multi-use ladder that is a bit more affordable.

However, perhaps it is too much ladder for me. I could pick up a basic ladder from the hardware store and get a pivot or levelers. It seems the main complaint is that the pivot is twice as much work: you move the ladder, you then have to move the pivot.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by TheHausMaus; 10-16-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:15 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Depending on your stairs, you may be able to use a plank with two ladders, clamp and build a platform.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:08 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
The Little Giant is perfect for using on stairs. It takes seconds to adjust.
I've had my Little Giant for over 20 years, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I have one of the Werners, I believe it's the 22' telescoping. (Back then I don't think they made the 26' telescoping.) The Little Giant, or at least some of them, adjust in a way that the Werner telescoping does not. On the Werner you can't make one single leg longer than the other. You can in stepladder mode make one side longer than the other, which works for many stair scenarios. It's pretty easy to adjust, but I can't compare it to the Little Giant. It is HEAVY compared to a standard stepladder, but very solid and stable. You can also climb either side as a stepladder, and you can completely remove the telescoping bits and make it into two stepladders which would also support a platform. (It comes with the parts to connect the extra pieces into a second stepladder, or at least it did back when I got mine several years ago.)

If you have no ladder at all, having one of these around is perhaps a good idea. I wouldn't recommend it for much use as a straight (extension) ladder. I needed one for outside and gave up on using the Werner multi-ladder that way after a couple tries on the higher parts of the house, ended up getting a real 24' extension ladder with levelers. (The bottom rung has a built-in level bubble, pretty slick.) But it would serve all your stepladder needs well, apart from being so heavy that you might go out of your way to avoid it. (I have a very ancient 6' light aluminum stepladder that I use around the garage and sometimes in the house.)

Interesting that you're describing ladder pivots. This would suggest using the multi-ladder straight out or an extension ladder in the stairwell. As I mentioned I would prefer not to use at least the Werner multi-ladder in that mode, at least once it was extended fairly far. I found it less stable. If the ceiling is so high that you need a ladder taller than the multi would go as a stepladder, well, I don't know. If you need an extension ladder anyway then get one, but otherwise maybe you can borrow one or something. You'd want to consider how much you might use these things before plunking down a couple hundred or so on a ladder that would mostly gather dust. If you've gone years without having any of these sorts of ladders, then it's quite possible it would be overkill.

A multi-ladder is a compromise for many uses. It's good for having an unequal height stepladder, and for having stepladders of multiple heights without having 3 of them. Apart from those uses, I would rather have a proper extension ladder and stepladder instead. I'm sure a few happy Little Giant owners might disagree with me, and that's fine. They may be right. I can only go by what I've experienced with the other one.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHausMaus View Post
I want to prep and paint the ceiling above the stairwell.
I am considering one of the Little Giant ladders as they seem very versatile.
That's overkill for nearly everyone.

Quote:
Since I do not have a ladder yet...
Â¥ou should remedy that first.
I'm a fan of three legged ladders but get a 6' and a 4' folding soon.

If, after seriously exploring all the options, you determine that a folding type ladder
really is the one best option for your situation... rent it for the weekend.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I have one of the Werners, I believe it's the 22' telescoping.

It is HEAVY compared to a standard stepladder, but very solid and stable.
I think I have the same one and I was going to say the same thing. I'm not a small guy, but that ladder is heavy.

Having a couple of standard step ladders would probably be more manageable in most cases. But it was useful when I needed to put the ladder on the stairs. I made one side shorter than the other and was able to reach the ceiling in the staircase.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
Agreed. My brother and I have Werner as well. Mine is much smaller than my brother's and I agree with everyone...those things are heavy. By the way, be very careful using these ladders, you DO NOT WANT your hands/arms smash/crush/mangled when adjusting or collapsing these ladders. Just gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Last edited by calnbs; 10-17-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Salesman always brought this stuff out and tried to get me to use it. Too me it is all oddball inventions. However, there were always a few who swore by them. They'd pack that big heavy Little Giant all over all day for that 1% chance they could use it in a strange configuration. Bless their hearts for their devotion too these things, but I've found most standard types of ladders, and or scaffolding will get the job done. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House