Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a firm mattress and need advice. When we moved, we moved into a temporary leased home until we found a home to buy.

I caved in and told DH that he could choose a firm mattress because he always complained that he had to sleep on one. When I tested it in the store, it didn't feel too bad, so I agreed to make him happy.

Long story short, we have been sleeping with no bed, with the box spring and mattress stacked on the floor, and I swear I feel like I have actually been sleeping on the floor for months. It is hard as a rock! (We refuse to buy a new bed and frame until we get into the new home, so we know what style we want, and we don't want to have to move it 2 times)

Question: Is the mattress feeling ultra hard because it is stacked on a box spring on the floor, or will it soften up once we get in the new house with an actual bed frame? I need to figure out whether or not I need to be mattress shopping again soon after the new house closes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 04:55 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
No, if it is on a box spring that is as "soft" as it will get. Buy a memory foam topper and see if that helps.

Here:
The Foam Factory, Mattresses, Memory Foam Toppers

FWIW, I just ordered and received a replacement king size 6" 1.8PCF foam pad from them that we use instead of an overpriced mattress. The previous one we had lasted about seven years and was light enough that we could easily turn it. I just slap on a $50 fabric mattress cover on the $200 foam and don't worry about it. We have paid over $1500 for a mattress and box spring set in the past, had it wallow out in a few months and had to replace it in three years. Never again. (Edit to add - don't skimp on thickness. I did that in some camper bunk pads and regretted it when they bottomed out.)

Do understand that this company is a wholesale supplier. The product is what you can pay double for elsewhere, but do not expect hand-holding and swarmmy sales pitches, and don't expect the foam to arrive in a cherrywood box suitable for framing.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My last mattress was extra firm, and it felt much firmer when we briefly used it without a bedframe.

You can probably buy a basic metal frame on craigslist for about $25, so try that before you buy a totally new bed.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No, if it is on a box spring that is as "soft" as it will get. Buy a memory foam topper and see if that helps.
Well, I guess the mattress will be added to the new mother-in-law suite in the guest room

Thanks for the link, I will check into getting a soft topper.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Actually I'd get a 3" latex topper. A softer mattress will have more padding, that's all. And when the padding breaks down you get the dreaded "sink hole" and end up buying a new mattress. With a firm mattress and a separate topper you can just replace the topper. Sure it will break down over time still, but I really think the firm mattress/latex topper combo is the way to go most of the time.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Way overpriced but when it comes time, a Sleep Number or something like that really does let one sleeper have a different sweet spot than the other.

Memory foam is nice but even the same person can benefit from changing the firmness of their mattress once in a while.

Customer service leaves a lot to be desired but they do work and sometimes you just want the mattress to be firmer or softer than usual. Until you have that option you don't know what you don't have.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Most box spring mattresses today start to soften up or start sagging within 6 months of purchase. So OP you can hang in there for awhile or, as suggested get a topper, or do as we did and get a memory foam mattress. And so far after 3 years our Serta iGenius mattress is still comfortable like when we bought it.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
And so far after 3 years our Serta iGenius mattress is still comfortable like when we bought it.
Seriously? Mattresses are now named after stuff from Apple? Stupid internet.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
buy a plush matress that will probably work out better for you

the store demos are broken in already..the one you get at the house will be harder for a while

Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 PM

How do those all foam mattresses hold up over time? I know they are pricey - how about the ones from say, Sams Club?

That does make sense to use a foam topper on a cheaper mattress since the plush thing will break down over time on a mattress.

The thing that drives me nuts nowadays is how they made all mattresses sparkling white so they get stained up and you have to buy a new one sooner. A few drink spills and dirt from your dog jumping on the bed and knocking the sheet off, and your mattress looks horrible.

The best mattress I bought was a cheapo about 15 years ago from some seedy warehouse. The good old mattress with the gawdy floral pattern all over. I burned it when I moved because my plan was to move with the bare minimum, otherwise I would still be using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House