Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Motorhomes don't fall under the same scrutiny as a single-family home: IRC.
So bottomline- your response is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:18 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Motorhomes don't fall under the same scrutiny as a single-family home:
True, but 36 square feet isn't particularly small for a bathroom. Or at least it wasn't until very recently. I don't think most of the houses in my neighborhood have a bathroom appreciably larger than that and they all would have full baths because it originally the only bathroom in the house. People are talking like it is some exceptionally hard task to fit the fixture in that space in general (leaving aside the corner shower) as opposed to normal practice from 1930 through 1970 something.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
True, but 36 square feet isn't particularly small for a bathroom.
Ain't particularly large either. It is adequate, as it allows for a 36" x 36" corner shower...
and most of 36" on each wing of that shower for a commode and vanity.
You could even shave that down some too if you'll accept less wall space for the commode and vanity
Quote:
People are talking like it is some exceptionally hard task to fit the fixture in that (9' x 4') space...
Not the 9 foot length... the 4 foot width dimension.
Even as in my example earlier (which I knew was tight) it meets the goal of adding a shower
but does so by sacrificing space for use of the commode and vanity.

Can't always get what you want -MJ

Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Quote:
True, but 36 square feet isn't particularly small for a bathroom. Or at least it wasn't until very recently. I don't think most of the houses in my neighborhood have a bathroom appreciably larger than that and they all would have full baths because it originally the only bathroom in the house. People are talking like it is some exceptionally hard task to fit the fixture in that space in general (leaving aside the corner shower) as opposed to normal practice from 1930 through 1970 something.
Many things have changed since even the seventies. People have different lifestyles now. Houses are now built to accommodate these differences, so consequently building codes have changed.

Master baths have things like double-sink vanities, separate tub/shower, a separate water closet area, and other similar amenities for this reason. It's pretty much the norm that both husband and wife work, so now you have two people who need to get up and out the door everyday.

I don't think anyone is saying that all bathrooms need to be huge, my hall half-bath is only 58" x 64" and that's all it needs to be. It's big enough for the intended use. But cramming a corner shower into a bathroom only 4' wide is going to be a challenge, to say the least.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:27 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I've used small showers in Europe and Asia. I can't image that anyone wants a shower like that by choice, but anyway, I just want to suggest the ones that come with framed doors (slide open ones for example). Dealing with a shower curtain just adds to the pain of using that little shower. I remember using one that worked pretty well for a small space. The stall is shaped like the quarter of a circle, with the round side facing out and that side has doors that slide open wide.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Many things have changed since even the seventies. People have different lifestyles now. Houses are now built to accommodate these differences, so consequently building codes have changed.
Maybe, but kitchens have gotten bigger also, despite the fact that people cook at home less than in the 1970s.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have a half bath that is 9 feet deep and 4 ft wide. I want to rearrange things and add a 32" corner shower kit but they ALL seem to have bad reviews. What about buying a shower base, tiling the two walls in the corner and adding a shower curtain? Do you think something like this would contain water well?
No. Put a glass enclosure in instead of the curtain and it should work, but of course will cost more. There's no way that little curb (or a shower base) and a curtain will contain the spray.

Mine's 10' x 4.5' (rough), and I have a 36 x 54" shower (rectangular), elongated toilet, and 36" vanity. And it's not too crowded (though far from spacious!). If you're re-arranging everything you might be able to fit a 30" vanity, a round-bowl toilet, and a 34"x48" rectangular shower (more room, less glass). You'd have to draw it out to see. (and it also depends on the door location of course)

Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
TBut, if the toilet is placed in typical layout- next to shower- the bowl would interfere with a proper swing out shower door.
Easy solution to that: Slider.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Easy solution to that: Slider.
If you eat a lot of White Castle, you will want a bigger bathroom.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
If you eat a lot of White Castle, you will want a bigger bathroom.
Hardee har har. (and if you eat too much Hardees, you'll want the elongated bowl. Easier on the chin.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House