Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate cleaning ovens and am afraid to use the self cleaning thing, Im afraid the stove will explode.
lol

I use the self-cleaning option on my oven a couple of times a year. It is great. I put it on, and stay out of the room, as it heats up the room unbearably. Afterward, all you have to do is wipe up the cinders, and your oven looks like new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate cleaning ovens and am afraid to use the self cleaning thing, Im afraid the stove will explode.
I thought I was the only one who felt this way!

We do the self cleaning oven thing (it really IS so easy) but I only ever do it while my husband is home. So if the thing does catch on fire or explode, well... I guess we can both be buried together? I don't really know my reasoning here... having him home just make me feel safer!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I have really made an effort to become more neat and organized since I was never that way growing up.

I would say that we keep our place relatively neat. Do we clean all of the time? No.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Neat freak here. Clutter makes me nervous and bothers me. I make sure the kitchen is always clean with no dirty dishes before I leave the house because walking into a dirty kitchen will bother me when I come home.

Sometimes things get cluttered when I have a period of being really busy or distracted, that is usually followed by a moment when I step back, look at it all and immediately get to cleaning and organizing.

When I was a teen, I actually arranged my entire closet by color, and of course everything had to be facing the same direction on matching hangers. Was probably some OCD stress reaction to some childhood issues, being raised feeling unsafe, with no parental structure. Overcompensation by maintaining extra control over my environment
I have no problem leaving the house or going to bed with dishes in the sink.
I figure no one has lain on their deathbed, thinking "I should have cleaned more!"

Old 10-24-2013, 05:04 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Fun reading all your posts! Surely, clutterers are more likely than neat people, but, maybe not. I think I would really like having a very neat house, but, I have to accept it isn't going to happen. My house would be 3 bedrooms, but, I don't need three. One is enough. Another I call the junk room, although most of the contents are not junk. It's mainly the sewing room and a hoard of art supplies. The third room which could be a bedroom is where I usually stay if I'm home. It is not ever construed as neat. It's clean, but, cluttered. My easel, the tv and the computer. I've never been able to see why clutter should be put away, when it will be needed the next day.

Years ago, when my second husband and I were divorcing, (I lived in another place back then). The day he moved out, the first thing I did was pull my sewing machine out into the family room. He hated for me to be off in another room sewing, but, complained if I did it in a room where we watch tv, so until the current garment was finished, the machine was large clutter. lol

As mentioned in my initial post, the living room stayed perfectly presentable. In this room where I am, the easel is calling to me to come over and paint awhile. I'm finishing a small sunflower oil.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
My house is neat. Not perfect, but neat. I do the dishes once a day, because they don't really build up till suppertime. I make my bed up EVERY morning. I keep nearly all the rooms picked up completely, because I love the peace and serenity of a quiet, neat house, but our den is tucked away at the back of the house off the kitchen and I'm not as picky about that room. That's where books, or projects, or magazines are laying around.

Here's my deal - I HATE waking up in a cluttered, dirty house, so I always clean up before I go to bed. That way there's nothing pressing to do and no clutter bothering me when I get up in the morning - I wake up to a clean, neat house. Through the day my husband and I might leave a few things laying about, but we always pick up everything before going to bed.

Someone mentioned that no one lays on their deathbed thinking, "I should have cleaned more." Well, I might be the first person to do that, because I already have a fear of something unexpected happening to me and people coming into my house unannounced and thinking, "Damn, what slobs!"

I am very organized about paperwork and that sort of thing too - when I kick the bucket, I don't want anyone finding anything scandalous or weird in my things, and I don't want for it to be particularly difficult to go through and take care of business.

I guess the older you get, the more you start thinking about that. I started thinking about it when both my dad's parents died within a few months of each other - sheeze, the chaos he had to deal with! In addition to settling the estate, they were both pack rats and he had HELL going through all their stuff and slowly distributing it or throwing it away or giving it to charity. I am not going to do that to my family.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Living in China at the moment, it is quite impossible to really keep everything clean and organised since the flats are quite small and there are no storage rooms.
I have a maid who comes over 3 times a week.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
I am kind of a neat-freak but I think it goes along with the fact that we are into very modern and simplistic interior and architectural style so it tends to go hand in hand. Our bedroom is the only room that tends to get a little messy at times.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Living in China at the moment, it is quite impossible to really keep everything clean and organised since the flats are quite small and there are no storage rooms.
Interesting!
Friends who have had extended stays in China and Japan have said the opposite. They were more organized and decluttered there, because they had to have only the essentials due to space constraints.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Interesting!
Friends who have had extended stays in China and Japan have said the opposite. They were more organized and decluttered there, because they had to have only the essentials due to space constraints.
It is hard to have a small space when you have children. We are 4 so we have many things plus our travelling bags, the christmas tree and ornaments.
Kitchen is the same, it's really small as I think they do not really give so much priority for kitchens here so it is hard to organise the groceries and kitchen appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House