Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

The front room is usually very neat. The farther into the house, clutter will appear. Sometime I throw the covers over my bed and straighten them. The kitchen isn't a mess, but, there may be a couple of dishes in the sink.

What about your place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I was born organized and have worked hard on being decluttered.

So my house is very neat... even the closets!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:47 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Clean, but not necessarily 'neat'.

I make quilts so there's always fabric lying around somewhere. I don't have a separate sewing room (yet, but working on it), so my sewing machine is currently on the dining room table. It has been there for 2 years.

I live alone in a 1-bedroom apartment. I'm currently at the top of the waiting list for a 2-bedroom. I can't wait! Could be any day now. I'll sleep in the smaller bedroom, and turn the sunny larger bedroom into a sewing room.

I have no illusion that I'll suddenly become a neat freak, though.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I used to keep it immaculate... and then I had a baby! Not so much anymore! Lol

Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I'm a neat-freak, mostly. (Sure, when I have the flu or an 80 hr week at work, my standards for cleanliness and order have to be loosened.)

I live in a very open concept house, this definitely forces you to be cleaner and neater than a traditional floor plan. I consider it a positive.

I've found that taking 10-15 minutes in the morning and also just before bed to do stuff like to make the bed, load/run the dishwasher, wipe off the counters, swifter the floors, wipe down the bathroom counter, etc, really helps. It's especially nice to come home and walk into a clean kitchen.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Our house is clean and neat, except for the garage. We moved here almost a year ago, and did a ton of work to the interior of the house. So, the garage became a dumping ground for everything. Now, all the work is done and we've got the house 99% set up the way we want it. The garage is in much better shape than it was during the height of all simultaneous unpacking and home improvement projects. But, it still needs to be organized and everything needs to be gone through. It was too hot over the summer to do much in there, but it's not as bad now. Once "winter" actually gets here we will make garage organization a priority.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The front room is usually very neat. The farther into the house, clutter will appear. Sometime I throw the covers over my bed and straighten them. The kitchen isn't a mess, but, there may be a couple of dishes in the sink.

What about your place?
Very clean no clutter at all, from top to bottom....

Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I used to keep it immaculate... and then I had a baby! Not so much anymore! Lol
ditto - except when they were babies/toddlers it was still super neat and clean... it was when they became teenagers that suddenly I decided there was more to life than constant cleaning...

Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
30 years in the Canadian Army, what do you think?

Seriously, with both my self and my wife now retired, dust doesn't have a chance around here. We joke about who is going to get out the vacuum first, her or I. The cat has been trained, and now she doesn't need to be reminded to flush the toilet ( grin ), and put the seat down, too.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Hahha no ones posting here who has clutter!

I always thought of myself as tidy and organised until I had to move. Wow was I wrong. I had bunches of stuff I didn't need, even now after a couple more moves I'm still giving stuff away. The hoarder force in me is strong even though I have never actually succumbed.

When I had kids everything was immaculate, I would pick up every night, clean religiously etc.

Now I've just sold my house so have had open inspections, so everything is as neat as a pin including every cupboard and every drawer, but I am continually amazed at how much stuff I still accumulate. Right now I've got stuff surrounding me, in an otherwise immaculate loungeroom I am within arms reach of a bunch of paperwork, 3 pairs of shoes, a coffee cup and plate *used, my nail polish collection (big basket) empty can of coke, my makeup case (large too) plus paperclips and assorted stationery.

I seem to attract stuff like a cheap sweater attracts lint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House