Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM

270 posts, read 833,114 times

Advertisements

So I guess I will update this post. I google around and found out a quick and simple remedy is just to clean up the thermocouple coz it seems to be a trouble source for a lot of similar problem. So I took it out, light sanded it and used some rubbing alcohol to clean it. Also I found the limit sensor and cleaned it up and secured the connection, and now the furnace is working fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niubee43V3R View Post
So I guess I will update this post. I google around and found out a quick and simple remedy is just to clean up the thermocouple coz it seems to be a trouble source for a lot of similar problem. So I took it out, light sanded it and used some rubbing alcohol to clean it. Also I found the limit sensor and cleaned it up and secured the connection, and now the furnace is working fine.

Rarely does that "fix" last a season- so be prepared to replace. Probably on the day that it's friggin' cold as Hell and you're shivering, making it hard to hold a wrench.

Better known as Murphy's Law!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM

359 posts, read 1,099,869 times
call your gas company to check it out,it may be the thermo. and or a vent limit, let the pro check it out,you don't want co in your house it can kill you. just an old gas man.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
call your gas company to check it out,it may be the thermo. and or a vent limit, let the pro check it out,you don't want co in your house it can kill you. just an old gas man.
Is it the same as calling an hvac contractor? Or the gas company would do it cheaper or free? Unfortunately the fix failed today after a few days of no heat pump usage. The pilot fire went out again. Guess I will buy a thermo first. From the picture I had above, it's a Honeywell unit. Would the one lowes have for Honeywell work? Lowes only have three types of thermocouple for Honeywell, just differ by length of copper wire.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
OP. I'm learning from this thread, in case this happens to my furance. Can you post a pic of where the Thermocouple is located?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the fix failed today after a few days of no heat pump usage. The pilot fire went out again.

Lets just say...

I told you so...

Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Lets just say...

I told you so...
Can u answer my question above about thermocouple purchase please? Thanks.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 AM

My plan is to start with simplest fix, getting a new thermocouple. But can you guys tell me what exactly should the safety limit be setting at. Last time when problem occurred, I did a few experiment with this limit (shown in the picture), it seems just like two connection poles, I can unplug one side of the ring and the fan would start to rotate. I tried to clean the connections and secure it. But I could not find a reference to say what the normal status is or what it's supposed to be set at. Now it's activated again shutting the gas out, so I only have fan blowing, pilot running but no main fire. I'll get a new thermocouple after work, but I'm not sure how I should adjust this limit if the new thermocouple would not help ignite the main fire.

Last edited by Niubee43V3R; 11-05-2013 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
My plan is to start with simplest fix, getting a new thermocouple. But can you guys tell me what exactly should the vent limit be setting at. Last time when problem occurred, I did a few experiment with this limit (shown in the picture), it seems just like two connection poles, I can unplug one side of the ring and the fan would start to rotate. I tried to clean the connections and secure it. But I could not find a reference to say what the normal status is or what it's supposed to be set at. Now it's activated again shutting the gas out, so I only have fan blowing, pilot running but no main fire. I'll get a new thermocouple after work, but I'm not sure how I should adjust this limit if the new thermocouple would not help ignite the main fire.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 AM

It's blocked so I can't get better photo. But it's the small rod right by the side of the pilot fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
OP. I'm learning from this thread, in case this happens to my furance. Can you post a pic of where the Thermocouple is located?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House