Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM

752 posts, read 1,159,538 times

Advertisements

Every height of ceiling can get proper size of crown. For standard ceiling with 104 5/8 studs it would be 6-7" crown. And every design can have proper crown shape. For minimalist design you can use concave crown. I installed straight crown this year at one minimalist kitchen, just little molding at bottom. This is example of crown that look minimalist that I installed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:34 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,027,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Every height of ceiling can get proper size of crown. For standard ceiling with 104 5/8 studs it would be 6-7" crown. And every design can have proper crown shape. For minimalist design you can use concave crown. I installed straight crown this year at one minimalist kitchen, just little molding at bottom. This is example of crown that look minimalist that I installed.

Very nice! In our area, that would definitely increase the appeal of a home that's for sale.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Coping at You tube is BS. We that do it for living
1. cut crown with compound cut not upside down at fence and usually with 8 1/2” sliding saw, not with 12” elephants.
2. cope it wit *** saw not with grinder (?????????????) and I saw a few guys with RotoZip. Grinder is incredible dust and RotoZip is incredible noise. Those guys and that at youtube should rather do something else for living.
Trimmer is not much more skilled then framer. Frame stairs and roofs is more challenging then crown molding and trim stairs. I know I do all 4. Only from trim that is match with heavy duty framing is stairs treads installation in enclosed stairs.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM

4,149 posts, read 6,839,060 times
Crown looks good in some houses and not in others. We are not installing it in our house because we enjoy a more modern look and it just doesn't flow with our design. However, I just helped my parents pick theirs out for their new house and it looks great for their slightly more traditional style.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,215,981 times
I did it at my house. Standard 8 foot ceilings. It gives a nice defining line between wall and ceiling. I like it. As long as you go with a correct style it looks fine in any home. Just gives a finished look

Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,802,244 times
Tiptop, beautiful work! I love CM and we have it in a couple of rooms and as stated, it really finishes the room and upgrades the house. If I ever build again, I would want it throughout.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,772,621 times
I am a big fan of crown molding. But, I don't have it in my current home. I've got cathedral ceilings in the main parts of the house (living room, kitchen, and family room) along with a good amount of nice woodwork (oak beam at the top of the cathedral ceilings for example). I'm going to have to poke around and see if I can find examples of a home like this with crown molding.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I am a big fan of crown molding. But, I don't have it in my current home. I've got cathedral ceilings in the main parts of the house (living room, kitchen, and family room) along with a good amount of nice woodwork (oak beam at the top of the cathedral ceilings for example). I'm going to have to poke around and see if I can find examples of a home like this with crown molding.
Crown molding at cathedral ceiling is possible but is something toughest that exist in trim. Google "rake eave crown problem" or so. I would not touch it below 60$/hour. No doubt that you will find experts for 18$/hour that know just about everything.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 AM

192 posts, read 401,934 times
I always thought it only belonged in very traditional houses with high ceilings but my husband convinced me to try it in the master bedroom re-do in our current house. I have to say, I absolutely love it! This is a a room with somewhat contemporary decorating but also has beadboard on the lower half of the walls. The crown molding is stacked, not just the angled coping, total height is about 6", the ceiling height is 8' and the room is 12' x 12'.

After seeing that our plan is to put it throughout our new house. Also based on seeing how much work it was complex angles (and my husband has lots of practice), I definitely agree that you get what you pay for, especially in getting the corners tight.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:32 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,840,045 times
Can crown molding be clued on as apposed to nailing ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House