Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,991 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Is it good idea to do all these every year. Looks like my home warranty company does this with service call fee this year. Just wondering if it is some thing we have to do every year and how difficult it is to DIY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Let a professional service the heat and a/c, especially if you have gas heat. They know what they are looking for, and they have the tools and equipment to do the work.

Personally, I don't use pest control services unless there is a problem, or its a multi-family unit. I do not see bugs in our house, but if I did, I would hire a licensed professional to take care of it.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 PM

390 posts, read 715,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Personally, I don't use pest control services unless there is a problem, or its a multi-family unit. I do not see bugs in our house, but if I did, I would hire a licensed professional to take care of it.
I self spray my own home inside and out a couple of times a year for bugs. I use Ortho Home Max Defense - safe and odorless.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:38 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Since I am approaching the one-year mark in my new house, I am starting to think about getting my heat pump system serviced. It's a relatively new setup (5 years old). At my old house, the system was installed by a relative in the business and he serviced it. Now, I am on my own. I have the paperwork from the company that installed the system here, so I am just going to call them and see what an annual checkup costs.

I do have pest-control service. I inherited an ant problem along with a palmetto bug problem when I bought the house. For the first six months, I had them out on a monthly basis. They got things under control quickly. After the second visit, we pretty much stopped seeing bugs. Now I am on a semi-monthly plan. They come out, check the monitors they left in place in my garage, under all the sinks, etc. As long as no bugs are found, they just check and replenish the bait they put under my kitchen cabinets. For several months, it's been undisturbed. The only spraying they do takes place is outside. They spray around the perimeter of the house, six feet up the wall and four feet out from the foundation. Part of the reason I picked this particular company is that they do not spray indoors.

Last time I saw a bug was when we were getting our floors done. We put all the living room furniture out back on the lanai the night before. Somehow the sliding door was left open. I realized it when I was taking the dog out at about midnight. Next morning, there was a palmetto bug walking across my kitchen floor about 3 feet from the door that had been left open.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Hi,
Is it good idea to do all these every year. Looks like my home warranty company does this with service call fee this year. Just wondering if it is some thing we have to do every year and how difficult it is to DIY.
Owning two homes, one is a rental, I have found it beneficial to have this heater and AC checked each year. Heater in the fall and AC in the spring. The unit on my rental is now 17+ years old and still running efficiently. They clean the leaves and crap out of the condenser each spring and one year I had them check and remove any hairs and fibers that had collected on the AC coils inside the house, so it continues to run more efficiently. When I originally replaced the first HVAC unit on that house after 15 years it had a thick matt of hair and fibers over the coils inside the house. We had a cat. Since then I have been using hi-efficiency filters, which need to be replaced only every 3 months, and it made a huge difference in what has collected on the coils, very little.

Costs me $65 for each check, per house, or $130/year.

Pest control I do only as needed, every couple of years.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,991 times
Thanks to all.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Hi,
Looks like my home warranty company does this with service call fee this year.
Not all home warranty companies will cover regular preventive maintenance, nor will they cover repairs caused due to lack of regular preventive maintenance. Be sure to read the fine print on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House