Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

OP, you're getting a lot of info thrown at you here, and things are getting jumbled. As one poster said, installing a new gas stub is not "rocket science". However, there ARE a LOT of things to consider. Being as you have natural gas, the gas company will need to be contacted to shut off service when you begin. You can't touch tbeir valves on the meter, and they are always locked. Yes, you will need a permit, however, the inspection requiresboth a pressure AND leak test. You will need a manometer for the leak test. This is a low pressure test gauge that reads in inches of water column.

Gas line mods are very involved. To explain the whole process would take some time. You need special tools, and the testing and inspection process is a bit complicated for a non pro. However, you HAVE to go by the numbers. If you don't, and something bad happens, your liability is tremendous.

DM me if you like. I can explain the process in more detail. It's not like cutting in a new hose bib.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
OP just so you know about 1/3 of that $1000 quote is simply the design, submitting plans and paying for permits. Calling for inspection passing inspection and test and then close out. You wonder why it costs so much? Because pretty much anything you do in a house is supposed to be permitted. NVplumber is right that the liability is great if something should happen

Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
I've always done my own plumbing and I find installing gas lines relatively easy. I always use black pipe (aka black iron pipe) and build in extra shut-off valves for safety and convenience. If you can determine where your shut-off valves are located (you should always know where they are anyway), you may not need to have the main gas line shut to extend an interior line (at least I never have needed to).

But...since you're needing to ask whether you can do this, it doesn't sound like you've had much experience, if any, so you may want to just leave this to a professional. But, you should still check with the local building department to inquire about permits. Maybe they might even have suggestions as to a few outfits or people who would be capable of installing your gas line. The materials won't be that expensive, so what you're looking at is more of a labor expense--and the prices people charge can be highly variable. Shop around.

EDIT: Ask around and see if any of your friends have installed gas lines before. Maybe they could help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House