Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

"The whole concept of grounding issues virtually (pun intended) disappear with isolation transformers (picking up a big one cheap is easy)"

Where? How do you define "cheap?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"The whole concept of grounding issues virtually (pun intended) disappear with isolation transformers (picking up a big one cheap is easy)"

Where? How do you define "cheap?"
As a former amateur radio operator, and tinkerer in electronics to this day, I stumble across them fairly often. I usually get mine for free, but did at one point bought a 2KW isolation/constant voltage xformer for $100 because I was after the CV aspect of it. Industrial supply surplus stores have much bigger transformers... Not sure how thrilled electricians and inspectors will be about it to have them in your house as I do, but in all the large medical equipment we designed, leakage current was critical, and I can't think of a much safer and easier way to do it...
What is your intended application?
I digress, but making pseudo-3-phase is a little tougher, with an idler motor and all, but sure beats the cost of running in true 3-phase from the street.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Was toying with the idea for outside power tools - electric trimmers, etc. - as an alternative to GFIs, also as a method of cleaning generator output. Tinkering stuff.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Was toying with the idea for outside power tools - electric trimmers, etc. - as an alternative to GFIs, also as a method of cleaning generator output. Tinkering stuff.
Aren't electric trimmers usually double-insulated so no ground needed?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:28 PM

They are, but when a neighborhood kid is allowed to do a little trimming and cuts the extension cord wires, then secretly re-splices them incorrectly, anything goes...

However, eighty to a hundred bucks isn't in my budget right now, and that kid moved, so it isn't a pressing issue.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
They are, but when a neighborhood kid is allowed to do a little trimming and cuts the extension cord wires, then secretly re-splices them incorrectly, anything goes...

However, eighty to a hundred bucks isn't in my budget right now, and that kid moved, so it isn't a pressing issue.
Clearly the understanding of double insulated eludes you. Maybe it is that whole welfare state thing?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 PM

MrWillys, would you care to go for a straight ad hom attack? That way you can look completely foolish all in one shot all on your own, without my assistance. I am aware that many motors are supposedly double insulated. I'm also aware that in addition to that, many outdoor tools ALSO have something called a ground.

Now, would you care to re-read "but when a neighborhood kid is allowed to do a little trimming and cuts the extension cord wires, then secretly re-splices them incorrectly" and tell me what the possibilities are? Bottom line, he was complaining about being "bit". I had to cut out his splices and show him how to do a proper splice and NOT mix up the color coding or have leakage. Kids are that uneducated these days. Apparently others are as well.

Not sure what you are talking about welfare state? Was that supposed to be a slur? Even if I took (which, aside from three weeks of unemployment in the 1970s, I never have) welfare or govt aid - like the businesses around here who get a free ride on property tax, or GM, or the countless Wall Street thieves, I would find that more a reflection of YOUR attitudes than anything important.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Mystery? As in "which breaker controls this outlet???"

Try this: Extech Instruments Circuit Breaker Finder, Model# CB10 | Switches Fuses| Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 AM

120 posts, read 309,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No, mystery as in there is a wire (solid, red insulation) coming into the outlet boxes, outside of the bundle from the panel, and is hooked up to the box/outlet as a ground.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Exactly. ^^^
Potentially having multiple grounds is not a good idea.
I use a Triplett Fox & Hound to trace wiring; can map out virtually the entire house without opening
a wall.
(Especially in the older houses, where someone along the line of ownership 'thought' he was a good do-it-yourselfer, demonstrated some amazingly creative, code-violating and potentially dangerous 'fixes' or 'improvements')
Personally, I am a fan of large isolation transformers, which obviate most grounding issues, but I digress.
The Fox and Hound are worth their weight in gold sometimes. Very nice suggestion. I have found some "interesting" DIY fixes that would have been missed without it, or tearing the wallboard down. (a toned wire doesn't just split into 3 different directions in the middle of a blank wall without some creative splicing done in the past.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House