Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:24 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Katie, I agree with you. I am not a fan of stainless steel appliances. In my opinion, stainless steel is the "harvest gold" & "avocado" of my generation. The only stainless steel appliances I approve of are the true professional appliances - Viking, Sub-Zero, etc. - that are made completely of real stainless steel - even on the cooking surfaces. What I hate the most are these appliances that are basically just black with stainless steel panels pasted on the front just for show. Too trendy. Sadly, the trend has become so ubiquitous that the trend-setters out there are already getting burned out on the look & are starting to reject it. I'd rather have a more timeless look for my appliances (white preferably), but that's because I don't want to feel the pressure to change out my appliances every 10 years just to keep up with the latest trends.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
I don't have feelings one way or another about stainless steel. It's ok, but I don't love it enough to spend the extra money on them.

We went with all black appliances, and I love them.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I've heard the "pop" description on TV lately and not sure exactly what that means? Does it mean to stand out? Or that it catches your eye?
Pretty much. I personally like the look of ss(color) with cherry cabinets. I'm not all that trendy b/c I hate granite counters-which most people associate with a ss kitchen.

Lisa

Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Pretty much. I personally like the look of ss(color) with cherry cabinets. I'm not all that trendy b/c I hate granite counters-which most people associate with a ss kitchen.

Lisa
It will be interesting to see what mfrs consider the next fad.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:12 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,830 times
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what mfrs consider the next fad.
Manufacturers don't determine what the next "fad" is.... The public set the fads and the manufacturers meet the publics desire by producing what they want and promoting it like crazy. Many of you up here might not like the stainless look but apparently you're in the minority because the "stainless fad" has been around since the mid to late 90's.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I am sorry to disagree with all of you but stainless steel appliances have been around for years so they are not just a fad. It is only recently that they have become affordable to more people. If anything black appliances are a fad like avacado and gold. Also, fingerprints are fingerprints whether they are on stainless or white appliances. Prints do not show up on stainless any more than they show up on white appliances and they are no harder to keep clean. Jay

Old 11-23-2007, 03:49 AM

S/s appliances may have been around for a bit; however, they are definitely considered a 'fad' item now. The majority of consumers who follow the fads to avoid appearing "different" will choose s/s. And, it is the media who is promoting this. . . which in turn is initiated by the manufacturers to boost sales. . . just typical business.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:40 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
S/s appliances may have been around for a bit; however, they are definitely considered a 'fad' item now. The majority of consumers who follow the fads to avoid appearing "different" will choose s/s. And, it is the media who is promoting this. . . which in turn is initiated by the manufacturers to boost sales. . . just typical business.
Stainless has been around for over 50 years. upscale kitchens have used it as do most professional ones. To say it is a fad would mean that it has not been around long and that it will not continue to be desireable. Would you say that about white appliances? Jay

Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM

141 posts, read 228,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Stainless has been around for over 50 years. upscale kitchens have used it as do most professional ones. To say it is a fad would mean that it has not been around long and that it will not continue to be desireable. Would you say that about white appliances? Jay
I guess you don't watch much HDTV. SS is definitely the flavor of the week there. Thus the term "fad."

Old 11-24-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonewman View Post
I guess you don't watch much HDTV. SS is definitely the flavor of the week there. Thus the term "fad."
I agree! And although commerical kitchens have used s/s for decades, they just recently became the "in" look in residential kitchens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House