Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
1,200 for a single person. 1,500 for a couple.
That sounds perfect. We bought a 1,500 sqft house, with a storage room. Huge bedroom, a dressing room for me and a dressing room for hubby, living room, huge kitchen, 2 baths, 2 car garage. PERFECT.

Now I live alone. Hubby's room is now the doggy room.

It is a little too big for me alone. Especially when it comes to cleaning and heating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 03:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
For us 900-1300 sq ft. yes, I know that this is small for some of you but we are modest and are thinking about heating, maintenance, etc. Must be very energy efficient. This would have a spare bedroom for overnight company and a sunporch to sit on of course. And maybe an (unfinished) basement or crawl space. A garage for our auto(s). Am NOT a person that needs their house to be the size of a small hotel. Just personal preference. To each their own.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
1500 sq ft

comprised of a good sized kitchen and large master bed/bath

Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
It depends a lot on if it has a basement. My current house is about 2,100 sq. ft. and it's just me, my wife, and my cat. It seems plenty big. My old house was just 1,200 sq. ft. but had a full size basement, partially finished and that was just fine. Basements can add a lot of usable square footage but they don't usually count in sq. ft. calculations unless fully finished.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
For us 900-1300 sq ft. yes, I know that this is small for some of you but we are modest and are thinking about heating, maintenance, etc. Must be very energy efficient. This would have a spare bedroom for overnight company and a sunporch to sit on of course. And maybe an (unfinished) basement or crawl space. A garage for our auto(s). Am NOT a person that needs their house to be the size of a small hotel. Just personal preference. To each their own.
Largest abode we ever lived in was 1900 sq ft (two people). Gawd, I hated that place. We fell into the same thought-trap as so many others that MOAR SPACE was an absolute necessity.

We now have an 1100 sq ft house and installed a 14x24 (336 sq ft) cottage out back (LINK). The cottage is because the rooms in the house are small; we didn't have space to spread out our interests. We find that all our time is spent in the cottage with the house just being a place to sleep, fix food and pee.

I've been sketching ideas to have a 14x40 building installed on a piece of land and a small (12x16 probably) addition built on that will contain a kitchen and bathroom. Something like a Murphy bed and ingenious storage and we'll be set.

Over the last 4-5 years, I've become more enamored of the small house movement. We've taken stock in what we really need to suit our life and came to the conclusion that small works quite well for us. Since we are coming to the end of our full-time work years, money is also a consideration. Being in a dwelling that is less than 800 sq ft will mean a real savings, not to mention a lot less work.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
It depends on how long you are married. Our first apartment was about 800 sq. ft. Now, after 30+ years= the need for 3000 + sq. ft of space.

Truthfully, it depends on the layout. We chose to upsize for our new house to have the master downstairs, but space for our youngest son and guests upstairs, as well as a loft for my office. My husband will have an office downstairs.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Wow, so many people having large houses.

When I was single...I lived in about 300 Sq Ft uncomfortably but insanely cheap (travel trailer) I bought a small mobile home at 700 Sq ft, and was very comfortable with me and my wife. Currently have a 2,100 sq ft house with me, my wife, and anywhere from 2-4 kids depending.

We've discussed downsizing once the kids move out-probably into something in the 900 sq ft range.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
I used to live in 1000 square feet; now I have hobbies, a home office, and sometimes multiple house guests.

I could deal with living in 1000 sq ft, given a full basement and another 1K of unconditioned space as a wraparound 3-season porch. I don't see the appeal of having a tiny house on a tiny parcel of land, but I do see the wisdom in not heating a huge house.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 27,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The best square footage is the amount that those who live there are comfortable with.
My husband and I, one dog and 2 cats live in a home that is about 750 square foot.
We are looking to purchase a home that is 1060 square foot which is a bit more than we really want.
We have also lived in as little as 200 square foot, it is all what you are comfortable with and how many material possessions you really need to keep in your home as to how comfortable you are within your space.

Absolutely!

There is no magic number on how much square footage people need to be happy. If you are talking about absolute NEED 600-700 SQ FT are all you NEED for 1-2 people. Now depending on what you want and what possessions you have will dictate what you should get. You need to look at your lifestyle and future plans. Do you hate to clean and do maintenance? Get something on the smaller side. Do you you like a little private space or are you planning on a family? If so think of what you will need for the future. Is entertaining important for you? Do you cook? Do want a guest room? Actual square footage is less important than the lay-out of the home and where your price point is. You NEED a home you can afford without putting stress on your income. Don't buy more house than you can afford or you will regret it at some point down the line.

Personally, if I lived alone I could do it comfortably in 800 square feet. If it was just me and my husband I'd want at least 1200 square feet. We have 3 kids which makes 5 in the family and live in 1200 square feet now. We are happy together, and could continue on like this until the kids are grown if we choose to, but I'd would prefer some more space. We will buy a new home in the next year and we want at least 2000 square feet and up to 4000 SQ FT.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Wife and I went from 2200sq ft to 1500 sq ft. The 1500 is a very comfortable size for the both of us. 2 bath, 3 bedrooms. One bedroom is used as a computer/office room.

I do miss several things that more square footage allows. I miss my own shower versus a shower in the garden tub and I miss a private toilet room. We have a one car garage and a driveway that can fit 2 cars so at least no car jockeying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House