Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:47 AM

120 posts, read 309,653 times

Advertisements

Previous owners of house installed plexiglass in a slot of a 3 pane window and attached louvered vent. Similar

I would like to switch to a cup vent and I do not think the single pane of plexiglass will be strong enough to support the weight of this much larger vent. There is also a few inches between the casement window and the start of the exterior wall opening so I need to extend the vent duct out.

I was thinking of cutting a piece of wood that would be on the exterior side and attaching it to the window frame in order to support the vent and allow for extension. This isn't pretty but will be temporary until I can do a more permanent fix. I'm imaging it would look like this vent setup that is being replaced in this photo, but with a cup vent.

Thoughts on this idea? Better to use a pressure treated wood or just a piece of wood that has been sealed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:13 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
How about using something like one of these? Perhaps you can get a shorter piece or something similar.

No paint or sealing needed. Do it right and it could be a permanent installation.

Shop Composite & PVC Boards at Lowes.com!

Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
If the current vent works, doesn't leak, or otherwise why "fix what ain't broke"?

Besides, that "cup" vent is a PITA!

Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Depends on how long "temporary" is. I don't believe I would go to the expense of a composite or PVC on something that will be replaced shortly. Regular plywood that is painted is likely going to last quite a few years, if necessary.

I take it there is something causing the current vent to malfunction that you are planning to replace it temporarily. Otherwise, if it is only aesthetics that is causing the change, I, personally, would wait and do the job correctly and permanently the first time.

Just be sure the location of the vent is actually a good, proper, and safe location. Just because that is where it is now doesn't mean it is located properly.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHausMaus View Post
Thoughts on this idea?
Another vote for leave well enough alone.
Until I'm ready to bore through brick/block the window fitting is working great.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM

I moved the dryer so it is near the washer so I do not have to lug wet clothing through a workshop area. I also wanted to use rigid ducting and not flexible hose which would have been very difficult to do in the previous location. The old exhaust ducting also interferes with use of the utility sink.

My concern is just moving the current setup to this new location and having the air vent into a window cavity and not away from the house. The previous window vent has a window which is not as set back into the wall.

K'ledgeBldr - what problems are there with the cup vent?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Why not just spend the money when you are ready and bore a hole through the wall and then resell the home with the bent tube in it.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Current code says it must be 3' from any opening.
Chapter 15 - Exhaust Systems

Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
We did something similar with wood until we installed glass block about 10 years later.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the code link, MrWilly. That's good to know for the permanent installation.

I don't have the tools to drill concrete right now so that is why I haven't done it, besides being nervous about it. I thought the temp solution could also let me figure out where to best position the dryer in this space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House