Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:00 AM

551 posts, read 1,872,294 times

Advertisements

Hey, it's your house. Which do you think you would enjoy more? Nobody else can really tell you what you like. How big is your family? Would people use the attic space? How much do you not like the kitchen the way it is? I think you should go with your needs/wants. Maybe, since you have just moved in, save the money for a while, see how you are using the house, decide if you want more space, decide if the kitchen is bothering you. Since you aren't reselling any time soon, why not hang on to the money for emergencies and wait and see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 07:28 AM

5 posts, read 32,288 times
Really Did You Need To Ask Just Call A Realator In Which I Am Not But The Kitchen For Sure!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:53 PM

8 posts, read 22,131 times
I would say the kitchen. I know a great company in Durham that does an excellent job.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 PM

50 posts, read 170,360 times
Default Gotta use the $$$'s -- we're paying for it!

When we bought the house we negotiated w/the sellers for a higher purchase price (padding the sale price.) We figured we'd use that extra $$ for some improvements. So you see, we've been paying for these improvements thru our monthly mortgage -- we really need to spend it.

We do have a sizeable family, w/Gramma, collegeboy and young twins. Those youngins' could really make a mess up there in that attic and no one would really care too much.) So it's still kitchen or attic.

Yes I know -- no one can make that decision for us but like I said earlier -- the feedback does help.

I mentioned to the old man tonite that I'm leaning towards the kitchen again and why (I blamed Y'all!) Thanks -- "" -- I do get a kick out of driving him crazy.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,017,344 times
Our house has a finished attic, and it has toys up there. I have found that my kids do not tend to "play" up there as much as I thought they would. They want me up there with them. they do go up there when they have friends over. Statistically, you would get more use out of the kitchen, but I also really like our finished attic space! It is nice when there are lots of kids over, or I want to get away from it all. Then again, I am not really a cook, so the kitchen is not the end all be all for me.

Leigh

Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,044,842 times
This year I saw a LOT of converted 3rd floor attic space on the Parade of Homes. The area was made into a rec room - pool table, TV, play space for the kids. It reminded me of what one might usually find in a basement, only placed on top of the house instead. I don't know if this is just a trend or what, but it may be a good option for people from up north who miss their basements.

Just an idea.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,182,111 times
I'd remodel the kitchen. If you HAVE to sell the house quickly, an updated kitchen will sell the house faster than one with an okay kitchen and a finished attic without a bathroom I would think. The attic space made up into a big gameroom would be great for older kids, but younger kids always seem to gravitate back into the hub wherever mom and dad are. We have a "bonus room" filled to the brim with toys yet our girls are still downstairs in the family room making a huge mess with the few toys they have down here because they want to be near us.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,741,519 times
Personally I don't like walk up attics that are finished spaces. I think they are too hard to heat and cool here in NC and thus really inefficient. While looking for homes I did not even consider the ones w/ finished walk up attics. In the summer when it's hot, it's hard enough to cool the 2nd floor, even in energy efficient homes.

In my last house in Oregon we had a basement with a playroom and family room. The kids did spend alot of time down there. BUT I spent ALOT of time going up and down the stairs to help them. I don't miss that extra set of stairs. Also, I found my kids did not use the playroom everyday. Like others have said they want to be where you are. BUT I used the kitchen everyday.

My money is on the kitchen.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM

18 posts, read 70,694 times
Default Both?

I've done some home improvement and if you have the time you might consider improving both. Drywallers are cheap so I'd hire that out but putting up the framing and flooring for the attic can be done on your own. In the kitchen you could replace the countertops with a solid surface instead of granite to save a little plus then you can get one of those nice integrated sinks, so much easier to clean. Taking down the wallpaper and painting will make a huge difference on it's own. Of course in the end it's not always worth it for people to do their own improvements but I always liked pointing out my refinished cabinets and tile floors saying "we did that". For a third option the stock market is having a huge sale...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House