Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times

Advertisements

The house I'll soon be moving to needs a new backyard fence. It's an odd-shaped lot with lots of trees.....too many trees.....and of course they're all on the fence line .

So, keeping flexibility in mind, along with a few other reasons, I'm thinking a wooden privacy fence isn't going to work for me.

I've previously done the black chainlink, and while I like the look (it's pretty invisible against green), one of my dogs can damage it with her teeth (yes, she's a little nuts !).

These Jerith fences are supposed to be tougher, but I don't know anyone who's tried them. I like the look, it has the casual feel I'm going for. The "Patriot" is the style I'm thinking of.

http://www.jerith.com/patriotOrnamentalWire.htm

Has anyone tried these? Do they have some flexibility in installation, similar to chainlink?

Are there other similar fences I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I don't anything about these, but they are a lot more attractive than chain link.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 204,201 times
We had a Jerith fence installed at a previous house. Ours was the first in the neighborhood, and within the year at least a dozen neighbors had installed them also. We had a dog who was a chewer, and she never damaged that fence unlike our prior wood fences. I would purchase it again.

I'm not clear on what sort of flexibility you're seeking. If you need to curve around trees, then no, this fence cannot do that. Each section is straight, but it can be installed to allow for changes in the terrain height. So I'd guess you'll either have to remove some trees or install the fence inside your property line away from the clusters of trees. You may even want to fence in an area just large enough for your dog, and leave the rest of the backyard unfenced.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVmom View Post
We had a Jerith fence installed at a previous house. Ours was the first in the neighborhood, and within the year at least a dozen neighbors had installed them also. We had a dog who was a chewer, and she never damaged that fence unlike our prior wood fences. I would purchase it again.

I'm not clear on what sort of flexibility you're seeking. If you need to curve around trees, then no, this fence cannot do that. Each section is straight, but it can be installed to allow for changes in the terrain height. So I'd guess you'll either have to remove some trees or install the fence inside your property line away from the clusters of trees. You may even want to fence in an area just large enough for your dog, and leave the rest of the backyard unfenced.
Great info HSVmom!

Yes, we do plan to remove some trees......I'm a tree lover, but some of these trees are in the wrong place, wrong kind of tree, etc.

We have one h-u-g-e old Live Oak that will stay and it will be a tough one to fence around....I haven't quite figured out how to do this yet.

Being a small-ish city lot (a little less than a quarter acre in total), I really want to have all of my lot inside my fence - 3 dogs, we need the room to run .

So glad to hear the fence was as tough as the claim states it is. I could not believe it the first time I saw my dog take the chainlink in her mouth and twist!

So the fence comes in panels, it sounds like (I should have guessed that from the website ).....I think that will work for us.

I forgot to ask:

Was the Jerith significantly more expensive than chainlink? I plan to have it installed professionally

Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I don't anything about these, but they are a lot more attractive than chain link.
I think so too....sort of an old-fashioned country look but modern too .

Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 AM

Yes, the Jerith fence was pretty pricey. It cost more than the shadow box, scallop top wood fences that we'd had installed at other houses. However, it lasts "forever" and requires no maintenance. We did require two call backs. One was due to a minor error by the installer, and it was easily corrected. The second was needed when a tropical storm blew a heavy wrought iron table off our deck and onto the fence. Two picket tops were bent (our style had the pointed tops), and the company replaced those pickets at no cost.

Your decision may depend in part on how long you expect to own this house. Also, some neighborhoods don't allow chainlink, no matter how well made. For me, a Jerith fence (or a similar one by another company - although I'm not familiar with others), would be a feature when comparing two similar houses to buy.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM

73 posts, read 458,196 times
I just had chain link installed in my back yard (I'm in the country, no one can see it but me and the dogs)...I wish I had thought to do black, though! That would have been cool.

I love that Jerith fence. We have another place that needs a fence and it's very visible - I'm going to look into that - THANKS!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Jerith fence was pretty pricey. It cost more than the shadow box, scallop top wood fences that we'd had installed at other houses. However, it lasts "forever" and requires no maintenance. We did require two call backs. One was due to a minor error by the installer, and it was easily corrected. The second was needed when a tropical storm blew a heavy wrought iron table off our deck and onto the fence. Two picket tops were bent (our style had the pointed tops), and the company replaced those pickets at no cost.

Your decision may depend in part on how long you expect to own this house. Also, some neighborhoods don't allow chainlink, no matter how well made. For me, a Jerith fence (or a similar one by another company - although I'm not familiar with others), would be a feature when comparing two similar houses to buy.
Each time I move I think it wil be the last house, but who knows?

Still, there are some things I don't like to skimp on and fences are one. I am so over the wooden fences - between neighbors that think your fence should be watered by their sprinkler systems and our crazy weather here in Florida (extreme sun, rain and wind at times) - these wooden fences start to deteriorate quickly. I want to install a good fence and then forget about it .

There's no neighborhood issue. Where I'm moving has no HOA so I only have to deal with my city's very reasonable rules (mainly just height) - I can even fence in my front yard if I want to (yay! ). That's another thing I'm "over" - HOAs!

Did they set your posts in concrete, HSVmom?

Homesweethome: Yeah, the black is great - there's no attention drawn to it, so it almost disappears.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Did they set your posts in concrete, HSVmom?
Most of them were set in concrete. A few were not because we expected to need to remove them to provide bobcat access to the backyard for some future landscaping work.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Most of them were set in concrete. A few were not because we expected to need to remove them to provide bobcat access to the backyard for some future landscaping work.
Thanks again for the feedback, HSV!

My tree guy is meeting me at the house tomorrow, so we're going to make plans for some tree removal (don't worry fellow tree lovers, I'll be planting better and more appropriate replacements ).

Once the trees are out, I can call the fence guys in for a quote (sounds like it'll be a nice, fat number !). Jerith is now my number one choice if budget allows.

I don't know of any competitors to Jerith either, but if anyone does know of any, I'd love to hear about them (along with any other feedback on the Jerith fences).

Thanks everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House