Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 PM

688 posts, read 1,248,466 times

Advertisements

Hello All! Well, after looking & looking & many compromises, we bought this red-brick ranch. I'd love to here opinions about shingle, shutter, door & trim colors. Yep. New roof- ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
New to thread- New old house-20150413_171905.jpeg   New to thread- New old house-fullsizerender_1_25.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:16 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
I don't know where you're located. If you're somewhere in the north of the US, you can import Canadian fireproof shingles. Canada has companies that do the installation, too. They come in a variety of colors.

IMO, with red brick you're pretty limited as to colors. White is the usual thing. You could try a very light beige. That white looks awfully stark. A light beige would soften the effect, and still look light and cheery. For shingles, maybe a dark brown, to stay in the brown/beige pallete that red is a part of.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,248,466 times
Thanks Ruth. I am looking at LOTS of colors- trying to find something that complements & pops!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 PM

426 posts, read 506,751 times
I just googled "red brick house" and door and shutter colors just pop up. I think I liked a dark red door with white trim.
Have fun!

Old 04-25-2015, 01:53 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,016 times
Are those vinyl windows- I so think twice before painting them. I know either Ben Moore or Zinnser has come out with a paint for vinyl but I'm still sketchy on painting vinyl.

I would probably go with green or blue green on the shutters. Or black. Or even taking the shutters off. I agree with Ruth that right now the white-white to red-red is a bit too much contrast. If you were switching out the door I would actually go to a wood grain. Not sure if stripping it is an option but I think it would bring an additional color/material into the fray.

I think a weatherwood, brownish or greenish roof shingle would also work well. Again I would avoid anything that is too close to a black or that is too light.

I think its an attractive house and looks like you could do a lot to it over time. If you ever switch out the windows go to something with a divided light/applied exterior mullion (even if only 2 over 2) to make it pop a little more. I like the courtyard in front and that their is actually some detailing to the brick at corners and headers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House