Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,703,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Just saw this article on yahoo saying bidets are becoming more popular in new mansions or luxury homes. I have never used one and I must admit I am only vaguely aware of how they work.
Yahoo!
For those of you who have used one, what did you think after using it?
Good! I can't believe more homes haven't had them installed. Or at least douchettes/washlets which are like those little hand shower things. Maybe it's just me, but the concept of wiping... mud... off of a surface with a dry paper towel... is crude. Plus, bidets are good for other things like washing feet off, or letting the dogs get a drink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,304,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
...Plus, bidets are good for other things like washing feet off, or letting the dogs get a drink
Hummm... That is a feature they did not put in my add-on toilet seat bidet - a dog drinking fountain! My dog would surely love that being as he prefers toilet water to anything else. (My seat only works if you are sitting on it.)

Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,703,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Why are Americans so dirty compared to Europeans who seem to understand the importance of hygiene?
I'm completely puzzled by this as well.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:35 PM

14 posts, read 30,995 times
I'd be interested to know if the douchettes/small hand showers are available from HD/special plumbing store?

It's a pity that I didn't visit more HD while I was living in USA for bit over a year 11 years ago. Well, I wouldn't have known that much about building and construction work in general at those days as I had not built our house yet.

I've started to select public toilets/toilet booths that have this "luxury" option. For example, all the local malls have them as a basic feature in men's room. So does ladies room.

The feel downstairs is so different afterwards that I warmly recommend anyone thinking of this option to go for it. Don't spend a fortune for a expensive bidet seat when you can have the same result with small hand shower and a towel. No need for power outlets, possible problems with service parts etc.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
Americans don't like ice water on their tushies. Therein lies the problem with the add-on units.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,239,289 times
A Bidet is most excellent way to deal with #2.
Side note : may eliminate irritation leading to hemorrhoids. (Paper is an abrasive)

Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Americans don't like ice water on their tushies. Therein lies the problem with the add-on units.
Hmm, I guess I need to clarify myself. I meant the tap on the sink. You do have warm water coming to your hand wash basins, right? At least at domestic use?

Old 11-22-2013, 01:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,218,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Just saw this article on yahoo saying bidets are becoming more popular in new mansions or luxury homes. I have never used one and I must admit I am only vaguely aware of how they work.
Yahoo!
For those of you who have used one, what did you think after using it?
I cannot remember noticing one in any place in the U.S., but I have owned four homes in southern Europe and three of them had bidets. In each case the bidet was a separate unit. Thus far, I haven't stayed in a hotel in my country that hasn't had a separate bidet in the bath.

They are a godsend for any sick person or elderly person who has difficulties keeping clean.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,836,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnbuilder View Post
Hmm, I guess I need to clarify myself. I meant the tap on the sink. You do have warm water coming to your hand wash basins, right? At least at domestic use?
Sure, but it's not always possible to plumb into the hot water pipe at the sink. In my master bath, the sink is approximately twelve feet away from the toilet. This is due to the fact that the toilet is in its own separate room off the master bath. There is a closet in between so it would be quite a task to access the hot water piping for an add-on unit.

Additionally, you would still have that initial cold "blast" of water even if the unit is plumbed into the hot water pipe - unless you run the water ahead of time to flush all of the "cooled" water from the system first.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 AM

That may well be the problem with "aftermarket" installations. Even if our house was designed by us, our 1st floor toilet is not optimal for this purpose, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

It's quite common (in Finland) to have additional hot water loop with small pump to circulate hot water in the system to prevent/minimize this cold water blast. Our 2nd floor bathroom is the furthest tap in the system. Because of the hot water circulation loop, it takes only like 3 seconds when desired water temperature is available. But again, this needs to be taken into considerations and plans before the actual construction work starts.

When doing remodeling and wall/ceiling structures are readily open and at hand, it is a great opportunity to add few feet of new plumbing and fulfil wife's wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House