Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,460,366 times

Advertisements

So I was tempted and almost pulled the trigger on the $50-60 Echo gutter kit for my blower but figured I could basically make something just as good for a lot cheaper. No stores near me sell the gutter kit either so waiting for shipping is not an option.

I took a trip to HD and picked up some 2" PVC and a "U" joint with some PVC spray weld (much easier than wasting a jar of glue that is no longer good after it's opened). Also got a 2" rubber connector to attach it to the end of my leaf blower pipe. Perfect fit and all I need to do now is add a side handle to hold the pipe a little easier and I'm done. I gave it a test run on some of the gutters last night and it worked like a charm. Hardly any airspeed loss and the whole setup cost me $15.

Since I have gutters that are 30' up I really did not want to scale my roof or go all that way up on a ladder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,769,563 times
I did essentially the same thing with my RedMax backpack blower. I used a short piece of 4" pipe to fit over the discharge of the blower then necked it down to 2" for the rest of the length.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 AM

983 posts, read 1,169,882 times
I do not see that cleaning all the debris OUT of the gutter(s)

I do see it slinging a bunch of crud down in your face as you use it however.

I clean my gutters once a season by hand in the summer to get all the stuff out. And then blow them out using my Stihl vac / blower. I am not afraid of heights so I blow them at a 45 degree angle as I walk along the edge. This blows everything OUT of the gutter. Your design looks like it would not clear the gutter out - but rather would spread it left and right from the nozzle / maybe 30-40% gets blown out of the gutter.

Then again maybe it works great ? Keep us updated

Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

I clean my gutters once a season by hand in the summer to get all the stuff out. And then blow them out using my Stihl vac / blower. I am not afraid of heights so I blow them at a 45 degree angle as I walk along the edge. This blows everything OUT of the gutter. Your design looks like it would not clear the gutter out - but rather would spread it left and right from the nozzle / maybe 30-40% gets blown out of the gutter.

I tried it last night on a few gutters and it worked flawlessly. These gutters were closer to the ground so I went up the ladder to inspect afterward and they were completely clear. I'll be trying the higher up ones in the next day or so and will keep you posted.

I also set the blower on a hold at full blast and walked to the end of the pipe I made. No difference really in the airflow from the blower vs. the extension. Plus the leaves are dry so it's the perfect time to do it. Is it the end all solution over going up there with a hand scoop, probably not but it will do the job for this season.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,769,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

I have no such issues with my setup. It was built utilizing two "U" fittings in an offset configuration at the end of the long tube. That the discharge blows both down and forward into the gutter. I also have it canted so that I am walking well behind the action, essentially "sweeping" the gutters from one end to the other.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I have no such issues with my setup. It was built utilizing two "U" fittings in an offset configuration at the end of the long tube. That the discharge blows both down and forward into the gutter. I also have it canted so that I am walking well behind the action, essentially "sweeping" the gutters from one end to the other.
I thought about adding another fitting to angle it but didn't want to lose airflow. I am adding a small wood handle to the side to allow for better stabilizing and handling while sweeping.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,520,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I tried it last night on a few gutters and it worked flawlessly. These gutters were closer to the ground so I went up the ladder to inspect afterward and they were completely clear.
Add a tablet computer to the blower and a little camera to the nozzle so you can check your work as you go. I am the king of feature-creep.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Add a tablet computer to the blower and a little camera to the nozzle so you can check your work as you go. I am the king of feature-creep.
What's funny is I work in IT/IS at my job and I don't own a tablet, lol. That will change this Christmas but I may just have to add a camera and video up there to check on it.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 81,073 times
I've built one as well. Works awesome. I have a stihl bg56c and extended the tubing into the original nozzle and it is more stable

Old 04-04-2014, 02:53 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,862,480 times
I clean mine using one of these.

Amazon.com: 24' Heavy-Duty Telescoping Extension Wand, Leverlock: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House