U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2013, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,031 posts, read 28,751,939 times
Reputation: 16227

Advertisements

So my disposal just hums when I flick the switch. I haven't used it in two months ( I don't cook often). I hit the red reset button on the bottom-no change. I unplugged and put tongs inside it and moved them around trying to remove something lodged in there. Nothing other than small amounts of gunk were removed. Put the Allen wrench in the bottom and tried to turn. It wouldn't budge either way. I pulled hard enough to start moving some of the PVC pipes under the sink, so I stopped.

It drains but very slowly, but the disposal doesn't compact. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2013, 03:55 PM
 
Location: NH and lovin' it!
1,780 posts, read 3,661,632 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
So my disposal just hums when I flick the switch. I haven't used it in two months ( I don't cook often). I hit the red reset button on the bottom-no change. I unplugged and put tongs inside it and moved them around trying to remove something lodged in there. Nothing other than small amounts of gunk were removed. Put the Allen wrench in the bottom and tried to turn. It wouldn't budge either way. I pulled hard enough to start moving some of the PVC pipes under the sink, so I stopped.

It drains but very slowly, but the disposal doesn't compact. Any suggestions?
When you put the tongs into the inside of the unit, did the little paddles turn or not? If they did not, there could be something stuck between one or more of them and the metal part they sit on.

If that is the case, if the paddles did not move around in the circular pattern they were designed for, get a broom handle and try to move the paddles with that. Sometimes that dislodges whatever is stuck there... and I have done it myself.

I don't know what you mean by the disposal "compacting" but if it's draining slowly, it might just be a plugged pipe further down the path the water and shredded material is supposed to take. You might have to open up the drainage pipes under it and clear them. It could also be the grease trap or the "U" part of the drain pipes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Riverside Ca
22,164 posts, read 27,228,624 times
Reputation: 35212
Sometimes the rubber flap on the. Disposal is removable. If there is nothing in the disposal its most likely frozen. Did you try the Allen wrench both forward and reverse?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 PM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,926,324 times
Reputation: 783
I have had small things like pieces of bone rather completely lock up our disposal. Using the Allen wrench and wiggling it in both directions eventually freed up the unit enough to rotate it with the wrench. I vaguely remember using the tip of a knife to dislodge the material as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 06:30 PM
 
Location: NH and lovin' it!
1,780 posts, read 3,661,632 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I have had small things like pieces of bone rather completely lock up our disposal. Using the Allen wrench and wiggling it in both directions eventually freed up the unit enough to rotate it with the wrench. I vaguely remember using the tip of a knife to dislodge the material as well.
That might work but I would not recommend it. Knives break, as attested by "some members of my family."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 PM
 
1,256 posts, read 3,926,324 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
That might work but I would not recommend it. Knives break, as attested by "some members of my family."
After posting that I remembered that, in one situation as the OP, I used a wooden dowel and a hammer to move the rotating part through the drain hole. Since the disposal is still working, that must have helped the fix!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 06:41 PM
 
Location: NH and lovin' it!
1,780 posts, read 3,661,632 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
After posting that I remembered that, in one situation as the OP, I used a wooden dowel and a hammer to move the rotating part through the drain hole. Since the disposal is still working, that must have helped the fix!
Yup, that sounds better!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
41,950 posts, read 54,675,956 times
Reputation: 118279
This subject was covered in The tip of the day on Wed 11/27 in the 'Other Topics' threads.
Video: How to Fix a Jammed Garbage Disposal | eHow
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,960,897 times
Reputation: 8956
Try a broom handle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,031 posts, read 28,751,939 times
Reputation: 16227
Well maybe I tried too hard. I stuck a broom handle in the disposal and tried to turn it around. Then I used the Allen wrench again. When I tried to turn it on, I got a bunch of water leaking from the disposal...and it still hummed. Guess I need to call a plumber.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top