Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,397 times

Advertisements

If the hole under sink is round, and about the size of a round water shut off handle, then it may simply be a hole drilled in the back panel of the cabinet for the drain pipe that was never used and they did not replace or repair the back panel when the final location of the drain connections was established. The water supply pipe you see may be entirely coincidental location-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In my 3year old home the main water shutoff lever is in the front yard, before the water meter, in the same 18in deep hole with a plastic cover over it. Remember, no frost line here so freezing not an issue.

My son in the disaster restoration business says the main water leaks they see are from hot water heaters and the water connection to toilets at the toilet end.
At my last house, our water heater busted while we were at a relative's wedding for 6+ hours, and it created a waterfall through the ceiling in our garage. That's why I like to know what my water shut-off options are. At my new house, I have a water sensor near the water heater that sets off the alarm if water touches it. That way, hopefully, I'll be able to shut the water off before 6 hours lol. The alarm texts me instantly.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Never had the main shutoff be in a bathroom.

Start with where you know the outdoor ground shutoff is. Trace that up to the house. Then look for where the water supply pipe first comes up (probably) out of the slab or (if basement or crawlspace, sometimes) out of a side wall. I would think it would be in a utility-type room perhaps near water heater, furnace, etc. but that sometimes depends upon design of house. There's no particular reason for the vanity to be for sure by the entry of the water supply, or for it to be for sure the location of the shutoff. I would keep looking.

Note if there's a crawl space there is not necessarily an easily accessible main shutoff. My mother's house (circa mid-90s) has a 3-4ft high crawl space and the damn shutoff is down in there where the line comes in. If there's no foundation at all, just slab, then the pipe should come right through the slab somewhere. If you have a full basement lower level then the pipe could come through the wall instead.

Whether it comes through wall or floor (assuming foundation and not just slab) probably depends mainly upon the elevation of the lot. In the house I grew up in, the foundation was deep enough and the elevation level enough in relation to the street line that the water supply line came through the side wall. (This was a full basement foundation.) The inside shutoff was right at the wall where it came in. The water meter and outside shutoff were out near the street. At my current house, the street level is several feet below the lowest level of the house (which is again a basement with slab) so the supply line comes up through the concrete floor. The inside valve is right where it comes up out of the floor. In this house the water meter is also inside rather than out near the street, and there's a second valve downstream of the water meter, I guess so you can shut them both off and swap it with minimal fuss if necessary. There's still another valve out in the yard by the street but I don't have a tool for it.

Note at my current house the pipe comes out of the slab in the middle (roughly), surrounded by a room we use for the laundry and furnace. It's not near one of the exterior walls. Just in case that detail helps.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Note if there's a crawl space there is not necessarily an easily accessible main shutoff. My mother's house (circa mid-90s) has a 3-4ft high crawl space and the damn shutoff is down in there where the line comes in. If there's no foundation at all, just slab, then the pipe should come right through the slab somewhere. If you have a full basement lower level then the pipe could come through the wall instead.
That's exactly like my house is. A rancher built in 95 with perhaps a 3 ft high crawl space. You have to get on your hands and knees and crawl about 20 ft past spiders, snakes, boogy men and other assorted critters to turn the water on or off. I wonder if I could have another moved to right outside the wall or if that would create problems. I think you get the idea that I hate going into the crawl space.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
That's exactly like my house is. A rancher built in 95 with perhaps a 3 ft high crawl space. You have to get on your hands and knees and crawl about 20 ft past spiders, snakes, boogy men and other assorted critters to turn the water on or off. I wonder if I could have another moved to right outside the wall or if that would create problems. I think you get the idea that I hate going into the crawl space.

I had the same issue with a low crawl space, even though the shut off handle was about 2 ft. inside the door to the crawl space. Also it is just about under my kitchen window. In order to shut the whole house off from that shutoff, I would have to kneel down in the crushed stone "entry" and bend in half, drop down onto the soil and reach out to turn the handle. Ut uh, not gonna' happen. Things go wrong at the worst time of the day or night and I'm not able to perform those acrobatics.

My neighbor's house, however, has the water shutoff at the front of their house at the opposite corner from where the crawl space entry is. Plumber told them he could extend the shutoff through the foundation wall to the outside behind the bushes and best to put an insulated "box" covering it. (They didn't want to spend the $$.) Oh well.

My plumber put a whole house water shut off right under my kitchen sink. Open door, reach in, turn lever. Done deal. $125. and worth every penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House