Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:08 PM

419 posts, read 838,357 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into an upper floor condo unit, which is very much like an apartment building. There is no patio and no garage area to keep a personal garbage can outside. The dumpster is downstairs in the back alley. Taking out the trash far out to the dumpster is an extra daily chore. Plus it's a little pain to have to unlock the dumpster, open the cover (gross), and then re-secure the dumpster lock again.

I'd rather wait until the kitchen trash bag is somewhat full until disposing of it (about twice a week would be fine). Except the daily trash has banana peels, chicken bones, etc. that could attract flies and rodents too. Or an army of ants and other pests could be drawn inside.

What are some suggestions on how to temporarily store food garbage inside apartments/condos for several days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:11 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,523,626 times
You get a kitchen can with a lid.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM

Are there kitchen cans that seal tightly so that ants can't slip in and out? And do the kitchen cans give off odor or seal it in? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,523,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Are there kitchen cans that seal tightly so that ants can't slip in and out? And do they give off odor or seal it in?
Our kitchen can keep odors in just fine. I've never seen an ant in the kitchen, so I don't know about that. It's just a stainless steel can with a lid that opens when you step on the lever. Probably from Target.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,148,909 times
I would try to put meat/fat waste etc in a small bag in the freezer until I'm ready to take it out, and then just put everything else, like vegetable peelings in the bin. Hmm, if you have ant problems, maybe fruit peels should go in the freezer too. This method would probably work for a small family.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I would try to put meat/fat waste etc in a small bag in the freezer until I'm ready to take it out, and then just put everything else, like vegetable peelings in the bin. Hmm, if you have ant problems, maybe fruit peels should go in the freezer too. This method would probably work for a small family.
This is what I've been temporarily doing overnight with dinner scraps. It works to keep away insects and odor too. However, it would appear disgusting to visitors who wouldn't understand. They'd quietly think: Putting garbage into the freezer? Eww!!

Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,549,401 times
I wonder if you could change the trash access system. We had one like yours but then the mgt put in a better system where we could punch in a code, a door opened, we put the trash in the dumpster, shut the door and inside it mashed the bag down. We did bring the trash to the dumpster nearly daily but it was part of our walk or drive out. Oh, another thing...they also moved it to make it more accessible to residents and not off in the hinterlands. (Of course, we did wonder about people living nearby...one would need to be sure the mgt collected from the dumpster often.)

Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM

6,771 posts, read 11,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
This is what I've been temporarily doing overnight with dinner scraps. It works to keep away insects and odor too. However, it would appear disgusting to visitors who wouldn't understand. They'd quietly think: Putting garbage into the freezer? Eww!!
Do your guests go through your freezer examining what's in there? If you're really concerned, line an opaque Tupperware type container with a plastic produce bag from the grocery store. Put scraps in, put lid on, nobody can see. Then take out plastic bag on trash day.

I use this method (minus the Tupperware container) with everything i don't want to put down the disposal - potato peelings, celery, fat trimmed off meat, leftover chicken bones and so forth. I don't think it's disgusting, just part of the food you're not going to eat

Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 PM

44,543 posts, read 61,222,670 times
We always put what food products would smell in the freezer until trash pickup day which is 2x week for us.
If you're having an ant problem then you'd be wise to address that with the landlord or ppty mgr as that is a health issue and they are responsible for treatment.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:36 PM

41,727 posts, read 74,665,297 times
You have a dumpster? Lucky you! I would use grocery bags as trash bags, and take the bags out to the dumpster every morning on my way out. It's not that hard; I don't see the need for such drama.

"Extra daily chores" are facts of life. You either deal with them, or suffer the consequences.

When I lived in an apartment that had no dumpster, I kept the stinky stuff in a bag in the freezer until trash day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House