Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:26 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Light bulb manufacturers will cease making traditional 40 and 60-watt light bulbs -- the most popular in the country -- at the start of 2014.

This comes after the controversial phasing out of incandescent 75 and 100-watt light bulbs at the beginning of 2013.

Light bulb ban set to take effect - Dec. 13, 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
At least right now you can still purchase all of the incandescent bulbs in question. I have added to my modest inventory and would rather use LED's but they still have not reached a price point that is attractive to me.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Looks like next year I'll be tax deducting for all the light bulbs I replace. I'll be sure the gubment gives me back all the money I had to invest to cover the difference in cost for the bulb. I was hoping they would wait until the tech reduces the prices of these "alternative" bulbs to be more in line with affordable pricing. $10 a bulb is still a high price to pay considering it will be years and possible a decade or more before you see the cost savings in relation to the initial buy.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Stop whining

Not all household incandescent light bulbs are going to disappear | cleveland.com

Philips EcoVantage 43-Watt (60-Watt) A19 Soft White Dimmable Light Bulb (4-Pack)-426031 at The Home Depot

Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I hate the curly light bulbs, I think they are ugly and give off crappy light.
I have them in the bathroom because I have a covering over them, but it is dim when you first go in, then it gets brighter. I really don't like them.

What happened to freedom?, I want regular lights I hate LED lights.

also these new light bulbs are not going to save me any money on my electricity the rates are so high already, and then i have to buy new light bulb that are more money anyway.

please, if they want people to conserve energy they should stop making clothes dryers and make everyone hang their clothes out to dry, and mother nature will dry them for free, that will save energy, dryers consume the most energy, not a freaking light bulb.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

please, if they want people to conserve energy they should stop making clothes dryers and make everyone hang their clothes out to dry, and mother nature will dry them for free, that will save energy, dryers consume the most energy, not a freaking light bulb.
Actually, heating and cooling systems consume more energy than dryers do. Heck, even our pool pump consumes more energy than our dryer. However, heating and cooling systems have gotten more and more efficient over the years, while there isn't much way to make incandescent bulbs more efficient due to their inherent inefficiency.

Note that there is a proposed mandate to require gas furnaces with an AFUE of at least 90% in northern states. This mandate was supposed to go into effect on May 1 of this year, however, this mandate is being challenged on the grounds of the vastly different installation requirements of condensing furnaces, which would be a very expensive upgrade if replacing an older non-condensing furnace. Condensing furnaces cannot be placed in attics due to potential freezing and water leakage, and require PVC vents due to their condensing nature.

Similarly, there is a similar mandate for air conditioners going into effect in 2015, which will require at least 14 SEER central air conditioning systems in the southern United States. Unlike the furnace mandate, however, I don't expect there will be much opposition to the air conditioner mandate since installation requirements for 14 SEER central air conditioning systems aren't much different from 13 SEER systems.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 12-16-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Actually, heating and cooling systems consume more energy than dryers do. Heck, even our pool pump consumes more energy than our dryer. However, heating and cooling systems have gotten more and more efficient over the years, while there isn't much way to make incandescent bulbs more efficient due to their inherent inefficiency.

Note that there is a proposed mandate to require gas furnaces with an AFUE of at least 90% in northern states. This mandate was supposed to go into effect on May 1 of this year, however, this mandate is being challenged on the grounds of the vastly different installation requirements of condensing furnaces, which would be a very expensive upgrade if replacing an older non-condensing furnace. Condensing furnaces cannot be placed in attics due to potential freezing and water leakage, and require PVC vents due to their condensing nature.

Similarly, there is a similar mandate for air conditioners going into effect in 2015, which will require at least 14 SEER central air conditioning systems in the southern United States. Unlike the furnace mandate, however, I don't expect there will be much opposition to the air conditioner mandate since installation requirements for 14 SEER central air conditioning systems aren't much different from 13 SEER systems.

With and all this technical crap, all you need is a piece of rope and a pack of clothespins and you are already saving energy and money.
Why do you need all these high tech things to save money, that cost money to have.

Yet the little old piece of rope, always seems to be forgotten about.

So simple,yet overlooked.

I guess people feel better when they spend thousands of dollars on energy efficient equipment instead of a piece of rope.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

What happened to freedom?, I want regular lights I hate LED lights.
That was regulated out in 2007.
This is not some recent event.....

Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Exactly. And CFL bulbs are like $1.25 each.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

I need to come out from under my rock once and a while, you can tell I havent bought a lightbult in years.

Actually most of my lighting is halogen anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House