Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,295,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LAKEWOOD RANCH, Fla. (AP) — A homeowner's association in Florida is prohibiting children from playing in the street.

ABC Action News in Tampa (Lakewood Ranch new rules prohibit children from playing on the street) reports the Miramar at the Country Club Homeowner's Association passed a new bylaw last week, saying that children can't play in the street due to safety reasons. Association officials told the TV station that there's one narrow, windy road through the community and drivers often speed.

Fla. homeowner's group bans playing in street

So how about putting in some SPEED bumps so people can't speed down that narrow road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,059,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's impossible to ride bikes, rollerblade, play street hockey, or draw pictures with chalk in an open field.

I'm sure she's happier in an AARP community.

They weren't riding bikes, rollerblading, or drawing pictures on the pavement. They were playing football, baseball, and softball in the street and on the front lawns of the townhouses, all encouraged by the parents. If they weren't going to use the fields for play, the association should have sold the land to developers.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:05 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,637,641 times
I looked at Lakewood Ranch and, although it looked beautiful and had nice amenities, I found their numerous rules and restrictions to be a bit much, so this story didn't really surprise me. They want their community to look pristine, so speed bumps and children playing in the street wouldn't be acceptable. Of all of the communities I researched I found their HOA rules and regs to be the most restrictive. (They even have an approved plant list of what you are allowed to plant in your own yard after you submit a site plan and get permission to garden.)

Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,561,142 times
As someone else alluded to, the news here is that children play outside in this location. Wow! What next, building forts and tree houses? King of the mountain? Tag? Pile on? The very thought of it is chilling.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,982,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So how about putting in some SPEED bumps so people can't speed down that narrow road?
Or how about not allow the kids to play in the road?

road
n.
a. Abbr. Rd. An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals.
b. The surface of a road; a roadbed.

road - definition of road by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I don't see anything in the definition about it being a place where children play.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,982,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
A town in this area passed a similar ordinance a while back and caused quite a debate. Personally, I have no issues if kids that are being responsible play in a cul de sac, which is a street and covered under the ban, but on a through street, its just too dangerous, IMO. At the very least. of the town or HOA bans it and people still do it, they are limiting their liability in case something tragic does happen.
I don't even get the kids playing in cul de sac thing. Having spent many years delivering pizza and other stuff to residential areas including to many cul de sacs, that was one of the most irritating things. Getting yelled at by the little delinquent's parents for driving too fast, even though I was well within the speed limit, running over toys left laying in the street, difficulty turning around because the end of the cul de sac was blocked off with road cones, ropes, or other barricades so the kiddies could use it as a playground. It's a totally inappropriate use of a public right a way.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,722,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't even get the kids playing in cul de sac thing. Having spent many years delivering pizza and other stuff to residential areas including to many cul de sacs, that was one of the most irritating things. Getting yelled at by the little delinquent's parents for driving too fast, even though I was well within the speed limit, running over toys left laying in the street, difficulty turning around because the end of the cul de sac was blocked off with road cones, ropes, or other barricades so the kiddies could use it as a playground. It's a totally inappropriate use of a public right a way.
God forbid the pizza delivery drivers are inconvenienced.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:33 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,788,406 times
Poor things. Now they'll have to go to the park like everybody else.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,788,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
God forbid the pizza delivery drivers are inconvenienced.
Well yeah! They're only doing their job.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,157,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
There is no worse governance than a Florida homeowner or condo association. Don't make the same mistake I did a long time ago - avoid these like the plague.
That was my first thought. Senior citizens being annoyed by kids playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House