Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:10 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times

Advertisements

What are the obvious tell-tale signs of modular construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
When you are inside the house, there will usually be a wall that runs down the center of the house. The opening will be extra wide (because there are two building sections butting up there. It might be an opening between the kitchen and the living room - no door just a wide opening.

In the attic there will be several clues. Many times the roof system is on a hinge and is lifted up when the house is put together. There will be metal plates that look unlike any other framing plate.
It may also appear that there are two separate roof systems that join at the center (in fact there are) and there will be bolting points visible in the attic.
There may also be electrical connections that do not look like anything you see in normal construction. They are where the wiring for the separate sections are joined together.

Under the house there will be similar findings, but most obvious is where the two sections are bolted together. There might even be double foundation piers down the center close together. With normal site built construction, there will usually only be one pier system down the center.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks Barking Spider...by the way, where did you come up with that name?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Red face Origin of name

It's one of those things.....when I first started to sign onto this site, I had to choose a name. So I picked one....TAKEN. So I tried another....TAKEN. Again....TAKEN.

I used to have a running joke with my back packing and mountaineering friends about barking spiders in the woods. Barking Spiders are blamed for the sounds made when someone passes gas. "What was that????" "Barking Spiders".

Well, it turned out that no one had picked this name, so out of frustration, I picked it and never dreamed I would keep coming back and post here over and over again.

Now you know.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
It's one of those things.....when I first started to sign onto this site, I had to choose a name. So I picked one....TAKEN. So I tried another....TAKEN. Again....TAKEN.

I used to have a running joke with my back packing and mountaineering friends about barking spiders in the woods. Barking Spiders are blamed for the sounds made when someone passes gas. "What was that????" "Barking Spiders".

Well, it turned out that no one had picked this name, so out of frustration, I picked it and never dreamed I would keep coming back and post here over and over again.

Now you know.
That is hilarious! My dh will appreciate that, for sure.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 17,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post

Now you know.
ha ha ha! I thought you meant you tried to pick the name "Taken". so I just checked the name "Taken". It was available. Cool name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House