Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question to all homeowners. We are in the market of buying a house and one property of interest has some fogging windows which means the seal is broken and the R-values are not up to par. How common is this to happen to a five year old house in NC and what should we expect for the quality of the remainder of the windows. I know that the problem could be partially fixed by replacing the glass panels and cleaning the inside but the Argon fill won't be replaced. So the R-values won't be the same as the factory specs. The pricey version would be replacing the windows. Did anybody experience a similar problem and what would be a good negotiation framework with the seller?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Anytime the seal is broken on a thermal pane window, the window is not "functioning as intended". This will show up on an inspection and is something that I typically get the sellers to fix. By "fix", I mean replace the window.

If its something we notice before writing up the offer, I will include this in the contract and then there is no wondering as to who is going to fix this.

Vicki

Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,598 times
I recently ran into this too when our house deal fell apart. There were about 12 fogged windows in the house. My agent advised us just to ask them to replace the glass, not the whole window but the sellers refused to do even that. Should he have advised us to replace the whole window? How common is this problem?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I have a quick question to all homeowners. We are in the market of buying a house and one property of interest has some fogging windows which means the seal is broken and the R-values are not up to par. How common is this to happen to a five year old house in NC and what should we expect for the quality of the remainder of the windows. I know that the problem could be partially fixed by replacing the glass panels and cleaning the inside but the Argon fill won't be replaced. So the R-values won't be the same as the factory specs. The pricey version would be replacing the windows. Did anybody experience a similar problem and what would be a good negotiation framework with the seller?
Thanks.
Sandycat, good thing you caught it now. I have two fogged windows in my 5 y/0 house that were missed during the inspection. I was very happy with my inspector, but he did not catch this. I didn't noticed the windows were fogged becasue all of the windows were kinda dirty when we viewed the house. It wasn't until after we moved in and got to cleaning I realized that two of the windows were not "dirty" but were in fact defective in that the seal was broken and they were fogged . I had a great home buying experience but it still eats at me that this issue was missed becasue I would have definitely factored it into my offer to purchase. Next time I look to buy, I will be taking a very close look at the windows!

I'm not sure what it will cost me to replace them, but I need to find out soon!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
When I sold my house earlier this year, I had a few panes that needed to be replaced. They were about $40 each, and were pretty easy to replace.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Sandycat, good thing you caught it now. I have two fogged windows in my 5 y/0 house that were missed during the inspection. I was very happy with my inspector, but he did not catch this. I didn't noticed the windows were fogged becasue all of the windows were kinda dirty when we viewed the house. It wasn't until after we moved in and got to cleaning I realized that two of the windows were not "dirty" but were in fact defective in that the seal was broken and they were fogged . I had a great home buying experience but it still eats at me that this issue was missed becasue I would have definitely factored it into my offer to purchase. Next time I look to buy, I will be taking a very close look at the windows!

I'm not sure what it will cost me to replace them, but I need to find out soon!

NRG...check out the paperwork from your Home Inspector. Some of them may consider paying for a portion of the replacement if this is something they missed.

Vicki

Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
The windows may still be under warranty. Manufacturers have either a 5 or 10 year warranty against windows losing their seal. The energy loss would be almost immeasurable as even the best windows are poor insulators. It is really more of an aesthetic issue than anything. They are difficult to spot espcially if dirty or the sky is overcast(fogged windows blend right into a white/gray sky and unless far gone, difficult to see)
Most windows that lose their seal, and this is just from my observing over the years, tend to get alot of direct sunlight. The sun distorts the seal and allows moisture in.
It isnt necessary to replace anything other than the glass assembly. The frame is not compromised in any way.
The seller may know the window brand to check warranty status, and sometimes the brand is inscribed at the lower horizontal seal between the two panes(inner and outer, not up and down). Hope this helps!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:11 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Thanks for the responses. I guess I just wonder if we replace the window panes at about $40 each, how effective is the window in terms of insulation? This house is more house than we are used to and don't want to get slammed with a huge AC bill in the summer because of faulty windows. I can't see any seller replacing windows, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 AM

sacredgrooves, I was wondering: if someone just replaces the panes, does that still keep the double insulated window intact? I was told that the entire window would need to be replaced in order to be insulated?

sandycat, I've had many sellers either give my buyers money to replace the windows or have them replaced. In my opinion, it IS the sellers' responsibility to have the windows functioning.

Vicki

Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
sacredgrooves, I was wondering: if someone just replaces the panes, does that still keep the double insulated window intact? I was told that the entire window would need to be replaced in order to be insulated?

sandycat, I've had many sellers either give my buyers money to replace the windows or have them replaced. In my opinion, it IS the sellers' responsibility to have the windows functioning.

Vicki
Vicki,

Glass Doctors (I think), among others, will remove the insulated glass package and install a new insulated glass package.
$200 and up, but avoids the mess and expense of removing the entire window/jambs/trim/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House