Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Good for you with the good soundproof walls.

I hesitated buying a TH and bought a single family instead. I've definitely been in TH that are far more private and quiet than my house is. So it's a lesson learned. Very loud pool filter, talking parrot aaaaaahhhhhh
Also neighbor complained about my fabric softener ;(
What about the fabric softener.... You mean they don't like the smell??

Yeah, I really worried when deciding on the TH. I was looking at Single family houses all along for 4-5 years. When I lived in my last apartment, I could hear my landlord next door and upstairs all day long and didn't want to buy something that will drive me equally crazy. So the soundproofing was a great feature (but not something that I could've found out before purchasing since I had only an hour to 'see' the place before submitting the offer and no one was home at the time). I think the design of the floorplan helps since the neighbor's stairs are built against a wall for my garage, so the stomping up/down the stairs isn't transferred to the living / sleeping areas on my side.

In my parent's single family house, I used to hear the thump/thump/thump from the neighbor's kid across the street playing with his basketball all afternoon. Now, there's another neighbor's kid a few houses down playing the drums and we can hear the bass sound in our house. So I guess I'm also lucky that my neighbor doesn't have 2 boys and the girls are still very small (one is a baby, the other is about 6-7).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
We moved into our house and realized there wasn't a microwave or a spot for one anywhere. We didn't even think about it during the purchasing/inspection process. I ended up removing a vent hood and cabinet over the stove, cutting the cabinet 18" shorter, and hanging a microwave from it. My wife and I were laughing at ourselves for not realizing we didn't have a microwave until it was time to cook stuff.
A combo micro range hood is one space saving solution.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
This could be a very popular online video. Perhaps more so if before hand you played an audio loop of "I taught I saw a <few second delay>" for the parrot to master. You could also dub that in afterwards.
I like that.

mmyk72-yeah, she didn' t like the smell. It was just standard fabric softener, no exotic stuff, and pretty diluted at that. She also yelled that I'd better not be using any of that thar Febreeze sheeeite in my house. What? She must have a super nose!

I bought a sound machine to drown out the sound of the noise at night. The loud pool filter, her middle of the night hacking cough, her Oip Oip Oip at 2am. I think that's actually her calling her cat. I could never understand why she had to come outside to cough-right outside my bedroom window. And it's like a last stage of lung cancer cough. Never heard a cough like that.

So one day I forgot to shut the sound machine off before I went to work. I had it on thunderstorm, and it wasn't even that loud.
She came over that night and complained that she had to listen to my staticky radio all day.

Then there's the tree and pond poisonings.... She's a bully, and she's in her early 60s. She really scares me.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 12-30-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
ByeByeLW - OMG... you crack me up.... But I'd be so bumped to live next to that type of neighbor, and you're in a Single Family where you don't even have to share a wall or any common area with anyone. Glad that it sounded like you have a sense of humor.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Play some early-90s gangsta-rap for the parrot to enjoy.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
This could be a very popular online video. Perhaps more so if before hand you played an audio loop of "I taught I saw a <few second delay>" for the parrot to master. You could also dub that in afterwards.

Yes, one of those that wind up flashing back and forth on the highlights: Oip Oip hack hack oip oip hack hack.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Black Sabbath on a Sunday morning, Sex Pistols at night, Reggaeton in the afternoon, Guns n Roses anytime...

Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We moved in to find my in-laws' pastor living there. Long story, but the house was vacant while we moved our furniture across state a trailer at a time on weekends while maintaining our jobs back east, and sending out resumes. We arrived one weekend to find a strange man occupying the master bedroom and using our dining room as an "office". The church didn't have a rectory (the congregation only has about 20 members), so my in-laws volunteered our house "temporarily", seeing as the house was "vacant"... DH knew about it, but didn't say anything to me. I raised royal hell about it. It was very awkward.

The next weekend, we arrived to find a strange elderly woman staying in the living room. One of my in-laws' church acquaintances needed a place to stay so they again "volunteered" our house, seeing as it was "vacant". As the homeless woman was divorced and single, and the pastor was staying there alone (hiss wife hadn't yet moved to the area) my in-laws were also sleeping there nights to avoid a "scandal".

Then, I got a new job in the area and I, and my girls moved in permanently with these two strange people living there (DH was still staying across state, trying to sell or rent out our old house). These people stayed for almost six months. I had no use of the living room or dining room, and no bedroom of my own (I had to bunk with one of my daughters). My in-laws still had to stay there nights (in my younger daughter's room), because having the pastor live there with two single women (DH was still back east) would have caused trouble in the church. My daughters and I shared one bed.

The old vagrant used to lecture me constantly (she was a religious nut), scare my daughters about the "end times", and complain about the meat, coffee and alcoholic beverages in my kitchen. Sometimes I really NEEDED an alcoholic beverage during those six months.

The "house guests" (as my in-laws referred to them) were staying there rent free.

That time in our lives was the closest DH and I ever had to getting a divorce.
You are a better person than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Thanks...I can look back on that time now and laugh (it was almost 20 years ago), but it sure wasn't fun then. It was damn awkward. The elderly woman was a nut case...my in-laws couldn't stand having her around, but they felt sorry for her. She had family...but they didn't want her living with them because of her religious bent. As it turns out, she was ill...very ill...and was repeatedly vomitting in my downstairs bathroom (more for me to clean up). I drew this to my in-laws' attention that I did not want to be in a position to care for her. Her children ended up taking her.

What got me REALLY angry was my father-in-law gave her a portable refrigerator to keep her food (remember, my refrigerator contained meat and beer) and he mounted it on one of my end tables. The refrigerator leaked water and ruined the wood.

As for the pastor, I guess they figured he needed more room than they could have provided...what irritated me was my mother-in-law was always "shushing" my daughters to be quiet when he was around. Well, I got even...I'm ashamed of it now, but I invited a whole bunch of my kids' new neighborhood friends to come in for kool aid and cookies and to play when he was there (and my in-laws weren't) and did THEY MAKE NOISE! I didn't "shush" them either.
love this

Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
I did not pay close enough attention to what was in my YARD when I bought my home five years ago.

I had a HUGE tree that was rotted all around thar bottom and cost me over 2000 to take down. What I noticed was the "nice shade" and not the rot. Lots of things I would have preferred to spend that 2000 on, but I eventually decided none of that would do us any good if we were all dead from that tree coming over in a bad storm and crushing us to death. I used to literally pray to God that it wouldn't fall until I could get it removed.

I also have running bamboo in my yard. I would not have bought the home, nice as it is, had I realized there was running bamboo on the property. Never gonna get rid of it.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I'm in the same boat with you on the airplane situation. On the many, many times I went to view this house before buying it, there were no airplanes in sight. Now, that I live here... BOOM! Airplanes flying.. yes... in the air space right above my house.
exactly how toxic are these jet fumes? Cause we get planes more than I thought - a bit higher so we don't hear the noise but they are still overhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House