Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

From buying it to burning it, knowing a few things about firewood can greatly help the productivity of your wood stove or fireplace this winter. Here are tips culled from the nonprofit Wood Heat Organization to help you prepare.

What makes for good firewood?

When determining which types of firewood burn better, it’s important to remember some high school chemistry and the fact that all trees, no matter their species, are made of pretty much the same chemicals. What makes for good firewood, though, is density and moisture content.

The Best Firewood: Tips on Buying, Storing and Using it Well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,478,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
From buying it to burning it, knowing a few things about firewood can greatly help the productivity of your wood stove or fireplace this winter. Here are tips culled from the nonprofit Wood Heat Organization to help you prepare.

What makes for good firewood?

When determining which types of firewood burn better, it’s important to remember some high school chemistry and the fact that all trees, no matter their species, are made of pretty much the same chemicals. What makes for good firewood, though, is density and moisture content.

The Best Firewood: Tips on Buying, Storing and Using it Well

Use all hard wood and split it at least into once and let it dry out for a while.

Oak and Hickory are the best and last longer and puts out better heat.

Soft wood burn up faster and pine pops all over the place.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,460,366 times
My father gets really good Oak and I stole some to use in my fireplace since the wood I purchased was green after being told it was seasoned

Next season I am getting it from my father's delivery person even if I have to have it dropped at his house and pick it up myself. I searched CL, and drove around town and found nothing that seemed to fit the budget I was looking for and had little guarantee of the quality. I actually stopped at the place I bought my wood from to complain but still have not heard back from the message I left for the gentleman before Christmas. If I don't hear back by New Year's, he has lost a customer for many other things (shrubs, mulch, stone, etc.)

Old 12-27-2013, 11:32 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Ya'all buy firewood?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:40 PM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
IF no trees went down that year... yeah, firewood is bought.

We like seasoned oak, apple and cherry.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:23 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
We used to burn oak

Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 AM

44,872 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Oak and locust predominates here in SoMD along with maple.

Apple and cherry is good but hard to get. You use it mostly for the aroma.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 AM

4,613 posts, read 12,210,292 times
Threads like this can be speculative with answers without basis in fact. If based solely on species with the greatest BTU output then Buckeye wins. However, there are many things that need to be considered like cost, availability, and efficiency. Hardwoods are preferred for their long burning characteristics due to their dense composition. This doesn't mean softwoods shouldn't be used either with their faster burning, but typically greater BTU output.

As a West coast carpenter I would haul home Douglas Fir from work whenever available, and have delivered in August one cord of Red Oak that worked well in the San Francisco bay area. My wife could never understand why I would come home and build a roaring fire mainly with the Doug Fir, and wean off to the Oak as the evening progressed. I can remember working in 30 degree temps all day, or the job that the concrete slab had 3/4" of water so your boot were soaked by the end of the day. The last thing I wanted was to be cold at home.

With natural gas as cheap as it is right now I would think wood heat is secondary. In the bay area, and here in Reno when we get temperature inversions we have no burn days. You can only burn if it is your primary source of heat. I live 600' higher than the valley where Reno sits, so when I go to town I see the smoke that sits in the valley as I drive down into it. I think we will see more, and more regulations being placed on wood burning in metro areas as the population increase.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,822,972 times
My BIL hated to waste anything, and when we would clear the fence lines, or he had some trees that fell from a storm in his pasture he would cut it all up, and burn it either in his fireplace, or pot-belly stove in his camp house. I used to laugh when he would burn Hackberry. It was about as efficient as burning newspaper. It doesn't season at all. It just gets pithy, and puts out no heat. Trash wood IMO. Like has been said here, Oak is the best. Mesquite is a good wood if it's seasoned, and burns real hot. Pecan is good, too, but it has an oily smoke that probably would build up soot and wouldn't be good for a fireplace flue.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
The best firewood is one that has been properly seasoned and kept dry, regardless of type, and available locally. For example, some of the firewood mentioned in previews posts are not available in the interior of Alaska. What we have in this area mostly is birch, and spruce. There is also the very soft poplar, but this one requires a little more care to keep dry, because it absorbs moisture quite fast and gets water-logged.

MrWillys has made some excellent points in his response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House