Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,384,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I had the hardest time as well, my old was flat ugly and didn't work... I switch my mind so many times not funny, we had a custom cabinet builder, he designed the lay out after asking many Q about what I didn't like about my old kitchen, all came down to it didn't function or flow right, plus it made a small space seem smaller inclosed ...My husband kept saying there no room for an Island, I never use my counter to per-pair food on, where as the cabinet builder said sure there is, he made up a graphic out cardboard set it on the floor, so we could get a visual , yeah we had the space... I was glad I held out for the Island It knew I wanted Cherry wood cabinets but floor, counters , back splash was a nightmare , I can't my mind so many times not funny... It took six months but we are happy,... My advice pick what you love!
Glad to know I'm not alone in this. The only thing I know for sure is the appliances (which we already bought) and that I like Shaker style cabinetry. The backsplash and countertop thing really gets me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Lowe's or Home Depot have kitchen designers, and run discount offerings. No charge for the design service either.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,175,696 times
Smile Kitchen ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Glad to know I'm not alone in this. The only thing I know for sure is the appliances (which we already bought) and that I like Shaker style cabinetry. The backsplash and countertop thing really gets me.
I think the island makes things too crowded. I had a kitchen at one time a bit bigger than this with an island and it became irritating - just not enough space.

I'm planning to do mine this year (different house - larger area) and cannot wait!!

Some great ideas you are getting.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,545,559 times
KHO2, What is at the end of the kitchen where you have the table...the end close in in the pictures? And what's on the other side of it. For example, I guess it's a wall...but then bathroom? door to the garage?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:12 AM

Behind the wall, that is behind the kitchen table is the back hallway with a half bath, laundry room, and door to garage and basement.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Golfgal, I'm starting to get the impression that your family members need significantly more space than average Americans. No offense intended. It's just you're going on and on about there not being enough space for more than one person in response to pictures of kitchens that can comfortably hold multiple average sized American family members, similar to the children in WildCard's picture.
No, I'm going on real life experiences. In the most recent photo--you couldn't have someone (in the OP's set up) cooking at the stove and working at the island. In Wild Card's set up at least the appliances are placed at a more efficient set up. Also, try unloading or loading the dishwasher while someone is working at the island or wash dishes as food is being prepped. It's just not a big enough space or the right layout to do that. Wild Card's kitchen is bigger than the OP's kitchen and look at the space they have to cook..it's just not much. At least her island is wider and more functional then one that is just 28" wide or so.

Kitchens are expensive, very expensive. I've had several layouts in many different houses and the OP's set up is just not functional. She is trying to cram too much stuff in too small of a space. Sure, you can make it work, but why spend all that money on a kitchen that isn't laid out well when you don't have to?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,579,348 times
I would do open shelf instead of cabinet over window. I can't tell if countertop is solid color or subtle pattern by the illustration. I would do a subtle pattern/texture in a light color. Solid color always looks too utilitarian, like a hospital. Since it is a long narrow layout, I would open the space with some glass front cabinet doors.

Layout is good. i would keep the island as you have it, same size and location.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,545,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
We kinda have the same set up, here what we done and love it very functional as well...
So I'm thinking a version of Richard Martin's or of this one (in reverse). To include breaking into that dining room.

Using this one (in reverse with the table on the far side - dining room break through), you get more the sense of the cozier kitchen into dining area. However, yours will probably be longer so the table would not be so close. Yet, not so large as Richard Martin's great design showing a great room or living room.

Without the island though.

And for any extra space in the area close up in your own original pix by your half bath....put up a wall for a side entry walk-in pantry if it's large enough, or front entry and folding doors if it's not.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,562,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post

Hugs~ Your not alone, I think I lived in the remolding store for months, I was in every couple of days picking up sample taken them home to try out. LOL

Old 01-02-2014, 01:14 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,562,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, I'm going on real life experiences. In the most recent photo--you couldn't have someone (in the OP's set up) cooking at the stove and working at the island. In Wild Card's set up at least the appliances are placed at a more efficient set up. Also, try unloading or loading the dishwasher while someone is working at the island or wash dishes as food is being prepped. It's just not a big enough space or the right layout to do that. Wild Card's kitchen is bigger than the OP's kitchen and look at the space they have to cook..it's just not much. At least her island is wider and more functional then one that is just 28" wide or so.

Kitchens are expensive, very expensive. I've had several layouts in many different houses and the OP's set up is just not functional. She is trying to cram too much stuff in too small of a space. Sure, you can make it work, but why spend all that money on a kitchen that isn't laid out well when you don't have to?

I'm thankful we had a designer, he pointed out a lot things...In the end we have a functional kitchen one can move around in, with people in it...Plus cook ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House