Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 PM

20 posts, read 382,250 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I need some advice. I discovered this morning that the lights to my 2nd/3rd bedrooms were off. Every light. Also, some Christmas lights were plugged in outside and have been using the same circuit. That outlet too was without power.

I checked the breaker box and the breaker was not tripped. I cycled it off/on and the lights came back on. Then... 15 seconds later... back off again. I cycled the breaker again... still off. I cycled again... lights don't work but the "night lights" in both rooms were on. An anomaly though... turning on the main light switch in either room caused the "night lights" to shut off.

I waited about 20 minutes, then cycled the breaker one more time. Everything came on and stayed on. Weird. I've unplugged the Christmas lights. I don't know if the breaker is bad... or if a receptacle is loose or what. The fickle nature of this is somewhat troubling. Where should I begin? I'm not comfortable just calling it good. The two rooms belong to my daughters. Both under 5 years of age. Thanks.

Also: New construction. Built in 2013.

Last edited by decious; 12-30-2013 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM

20 posts, read 382,250 times
After this post I checked the lights in the rooms again and found them to be illuminating slowly. I swapped out the breaker with another of identical voltage and make. Everything seems to have been resolved by doing that. I even put the suspect breaker on another circuit and it displays some slight compromised behavior... so I'll be buying a new one in the morning.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:38 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
I'm going out on a limb here...how about calling an electrician that is qualified to deal with something as dangerous as electricity?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I'm going out on a limb here...how about calling an electrician that is qualified to deal with something as dangerous as electricity?
Let's see, Black is hot, White is ground, and bare is grounding. I haven't even taken off my shoes yet, and still have fingers left to count. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

To the OP: Sounds like a bad breaker, good call. I was leaning towards a fault in what you had plugged in, but in your second post it sounds like you found it.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:59 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Let's see, Black is hot, White is ground, and bare is grounding. I haven't even taken off my shoes yet, and still have fingers left to count. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

To the OP: Sounds like a bad breaker, good call. I was leaning towards a fault in what you had plugged in, but in your second post it sounds like you found it.
Agree. Household electric is not that dangerous with basic understanding. No, not everyone should run around messing with the electrical panel or circuit breaker but as a home owner, one should learn a bit about the basic. Why? The service industry has changed quite a bit in this informational age. Good luck trying to get a good qualify electrican to do such a small job.

A lot of the new homes uses really cheap breaker panel and circuits breaker. Just visit your hardware store and see what one can get for less than $100 (panels and breakers). The are cheap because it's cheaply made.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Let's see, Black is hot, White is ground, and bare is grounding. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!
And yet you still got it wrong . White is NOT ground. Unless you have a tiny bit better understanding than this, you really shouldn't be giving out any advice on electrical issues.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:14 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
It could be a bad breaker... could be. Might not be either, there are several things that can cause exactly what the OP was describing. It could be the breaker, a loose/burnt neutral, loose/burnt hot, might even be the main neutral in the service is loose and the loads in the rooms affected are unbalanced enough for the issue to show up there and not other places in the home. In 30 years of actually being an Electrician I have seen all of these scenarios show as the same problem the OP is/was having. Out of all the troubleshooting calls of screwy circuits I have been on, the LEAST problematic device has been the breakers, the MOST common cause was a loose or missing neutral somewhere in the system.

OP - IF replacing the breaker solves the problem, you probably found it. If it comes back, DON'T replace the breaker again, call in someone who is qualified to actually find what is causing the problem.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
And yet you still got it wrong . White is NOT ground. Unless you have a tiny bit better understanding than this, you really shouldn't be giving out any advice on electrical issues.
1993 NEC Article 210-5 Color Code For Branch Circuits

(a) Grounded Conductor. The grounded conductor of a branch circuit shall be identified by a continuous white or natural grey color.

Maybe it is you who should have a better understanding of your own craft.

http://scotthansen.net/Const_Tech/einspector.pdf

Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,755 times
Disclaimer, I am not an electrician. I have unfortunately had experience with goofy electrical problems. The tough ones are confused or loose neutrals. My concern is that if you may have a loose connection it can arc and heat. I had several outlets that were installed using short wire pulls and the "push in" in the back of the outlet and the result was a melted box and insulation. Potentially could have been a fire! Since I know there is good smart people involved in this thread I ask is it worth getting a lighted plug-in circuit tester to check?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Since I know there is good smart people involved in this thread I ask is it worth getting a lighted plug-in circuit tester to check?
A person should have a good circuit tester before touching electrical. Always trust what you can test and see. Don't assume. I've found switches inside the walls of some of the older homes that I rehab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House