Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times

Advertisements

Okay, so what's so big about a living room remodel? Really, it's because it includes my hallway, spraying 6 doors, jambs, and casings. The walls and ceilings will get sprayed, and the base will be removed and replaced for a new Pergo XP laminate floor.

Yesterday I move all the furniture out.

This morning I pulled all the carpet & pad. What a nasty job. Got it loaded in the truck and hauled it to the dump. I asked the wife for $100, and when I got there it was $6.50. Wow, in California it would have been $60 to $80. The rest I can set cans outside and my weekly guy takes it, but he complains about carpet for some reason. The green brushout on the wall will be an accent color for 2 walls. It's Glidden Pro Port of Norway. I bought 5 gallons of the base color today, and the gave me a quart to bring home for free.

Tomorrow my goal is to get the base pulled, and build a visqueen (plastic) barrier to isolate it from the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
... The rest I can set cans outside and my weekly guy takes it, but he complains about carpet for some reason....

That reminds me of when I moved to Taunton, MA (southwest of Boston) for a couple of years. Right after buying a house and moving in, I removed the carpet in a small room. I cut it up and left it at the curb for the garbagemen. OMG. They honked their horn for a good 15 minutes, waiting, I guess, for me to come out so they could vent their anger. When I didnt, they drove off without picking it up. Now I know better and take stuff like that to the dump.

I love to see projects detailed and photographed here. Will be looking forward to progress notes and pics.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:26 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Looking forward to your updates

Old 01-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Day 3

I got all the base off this morning, and built my separation wall between the kitchen & living room. Now I can paint without worry of overspray in my kitchen.

First I put 1/8" Masonite on top of the casework, and then hung 4 mil visqueen off a light gauge angle. I'd rather patch a few screw holes than worry about it coming down. My last room I used silver Nashua duct tape and it didn't stick well, so I called down to Las Vegas and ordered Abatix green tape. All tape glue adhesive is different, some blue tapes you can leave on longer, but have less glue. I use a medium + blue tape on any drywall surface, and then the Abatix tape to stick the visqueen to the blue tape. Using the Abatix directly to drywall would leave glue residue and possibly pull the facepaper off the drywall.
Note the additional visqueen taped up where the opening is, so it's ready to drop and complete the seal once ready too paint.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Thanks so much for the update -- and especially for the info on tape glues!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Sweet~ Looking forward...

Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Thanks for the pictures. Is this a mobile home by chance?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Is this a mobile home by chance?
No mobile home Bill, 1696 sq ft with a 650 sq ft garage built in 2002. We bought it as a foreclosure in 2011 for $107,000. I've done all the bedrooms, and the family room, so this is my last room. Our move here means we no longer work, so I have plenty of time to work on it.
What made you think mobile?
Thanks to all who have responded.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
What made you think mobile?
I guess the shape of the ceilings and the look and feel of the kitchen. But I grew up in a double wide mobile home so maybe it just reminded me of the good ol' days.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Day 4

Kind of a slow today, but got a lot of little things done. I started by mixing a small amount of hot mud to patch some screw pops at the top of the front wall. Pulled all the plug covers, and caulked the windows. Vacuumed the shelf above that had a lot of dust. Then got my doors setup for paint tomorrow. I'm also awaiting my floor material to be delivered. I ordered it on the 22nd from Home Depot online being delivered by Estes shipping, and they gave no window of when they'd be here.
BTW, years ago I worked for a guy who grew up as a painter in San Francisco and he taught me that elastomeric caulk is the best. I used it today, and it is a 40 to 50 year product. The things you learn from old guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House