Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Handles up or down
Handles up 28 44.44%
Handles down 35 55.56%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
While most dishwasher baskets are designed so that the handles are down, one can easily contaminate the utensils when grabbing them to put away after the wash cycle.

Ask the teenager with a runny nose from a bad cold to put the utensils away, and you will know what I mean
Why ask the teenager with a runny nose from a bad cold to put the utensils away? How does this teenager handle the cups and plates? I'll bet they pinch the top and bottom edges of the plates and the inner and outer edges of the cups.

If you're that concerned with germs from handling, keep a box of surgical gloves in the kitchen. I use them all the time in preparing foods. Especially in mashing out hamburger patties or mixing salads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Handles up. When I (or anybody else) pull out the utensils to put back into the drawer, I don't want anybody's fingers touching the side I put into my mouth. That's gross.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM

196 posts, read 424,503 times
LOL, page 4 on this. Just clicked on because it showed up in active forums on the right.

I have a dishwasher with the cutlery basket on the bottom, and went from handles down (keeps spoons from spooning) to handles up, as we bought some thin-handled cutlery that would get through the basket bottom, and keep the main water thingie at the bottom from spinning.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why ask the teenager with a runny nose from a bad cold to put the utensils away? How does this teenager handle the cups and plates? I'll bet they pinch the top and bottom edges of the plates and the inner and outer edges of the cups.

If you're that concerned with germs from handling, keep a box of surgical gloves in the kitchen. I use them all the time in preparing foods. Especially in mashing out hamburger patties or mixing salads.
I thought the same thing. I don't want germs on the handles anymore than the other parts of the utensils. Washing hands prior to handling is all that's needed. Surgical gloves are necessary for the true germaphobes.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
I dunno, I'd ask my dishwasher but she's getting loaded again.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I was about to say the only way to load utensils in the dishwasher was to put them in my pockets, but I don't think they'll get too clean there. lol But in the little basket on the dish drainer I put in the other sink, I put the knives point down. Utensils like spatulas, I lay flat in the dish drainer.

My mother got a laugh from one of her great granddaughters several years ago. The youngster looked around my parents older looking kitchen and asked why she doesn't have a dish washer. My mother told her she did have one. She'd had the same one for over 60 years and he was watching TV. lol

Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

392 posts, read 919,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Me too. I only put dinner knives in the dishwasher, and I don't consider those particularly dangerous, so those go handles down. Steak knives, cooking knives, paring knives all get washed by hand.
me three Good knives have to be hand washed. They have to be treated with respect and caution.
I put handles down usually, but handles up wouldn't bother me either. I mix forks and spoons and all so they don't stick together and wash well.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Handles down...but mostly it all winds up being a mix.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Dishwasher humor!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Boyfriend's family puts them in handles down. I've always put them in handles up.

Thing about it is, you wouldn't ever put the knives handles down... Just seems odd to put some utensils up and down. Easier to remove them all quickly, and they get clean if all the handles are up. I dunno. Also, I always figured, the water shoots up primarily from the bottom (at least on all the dishwashers I've owned, lol @ that other dishwasher pic that has them laying down on their sides, coolest thing ever), which means that things facing the bottom would get the full force of the water and therefore get cleaner.

Also +1 to OP, A+ thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House