Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 12,420 times

Advertisements

I see that others have had the problem with horrific odor from Dura Flame logs. I've been using them for many years but the other night I burned on and had to leave the room because the fumes/smell was so bad. I closed the door to the room and opened a window. 24 hours later I went in and the embers were still glowing and the room engulfed in this toxic smell/odor. Removed the ashes (still hot and glowing) and put them in our fire pit outside. Now 3 days later we can still not use the room. I've tried burning incenses but that didn't help at all. Does anyone know how to get rid of this toxic odor/smell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 PM

525 posts, read 659,949 times
I use firelogs in my outdoor firepit. It's usually just me, and they burn easily over about 4 hrs.

I usually buy Duraflame, and I have found they burn better than other firelogs, but yes, the odor is different than regular wood.

I recently bought "Enviro-Logs". The experience has been ridiculous. They don't burn, they smoldered. The smell was amazing. My husband suggested putting one in WITH the Duraflame, and maybe they would burn better, so I did once the Duraflame was fully engulfed. The Enviro-Log only smoked. When I went to bed, the Duraflame was fully extinguished and the Enviro-log was smoking a lot. I put the fire screen on and went to bed expecting fully for it to die out. The next morning, still smoking, and it was SMELLY. At about 11am, I went out to shake out rugs, and it was caught flame. And burned fully for the next 4 hours. Apparently I just never gave it enough time.... (they're crap, don't believe the label).

Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
White vinegar: drench a rag in it, and waft it around the room. The room will smell like vinegar, but if you do it a couple nights in a row the smell will go away.
I had a fireplace for 18 years and used it maybe 5 times. Hate them. Sooo bad for the environment. Can.t stand the big dark hole in the wall thats a PITA to decorate around.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Talking Without a fireplace mantle, there's nowhere to hang my great granddads musket above, or stockings below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I had a fireplace for 18 years and used it maybe 5 times. Hate them. Sooo bad for the environment. Can.t stand the big dark hole in the wall thats a PITA to decorate around.
I love my fireplace. Without a fireplace mantle, there's nowhere to hang my great granddads musket above, or stockings below.

Fireplaces are nice for ambience, but if you want to heat your house, a fireplace insert or freestanding wood stove is the way to go.

I sometimes burn seasoned hardwood from my own land, but for heat I use BioBricks, Canawick blocks and Superlogs. Unlike Duraflame, these are all pure wood, ground up and run through a press, basically giant size wood pellets. Less work than cordwood, and if you buy early in the season, possibly less expensive than seasoned hardwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
I use firelogs in my outdoor firepit. It's usually just me, and they burn easily over about 4 hrs. I usually buy Duraflame, and I have found they burn better than other firelogs, but yes, the odor is different than regular wood.I recently bought "Enviro-Logs". The experience has been ridiculous. They don't burn, they smoldered.
"Enviro-Logs", made from cardboard and wax, sound even nastier than Duraflame. Still sounds less wacky than the Java-Log!

With any high-density log, smoldering is a possibility, so you really need to get the fire off to a roaring start if you want it to do more than slowly smoke. I make sure the logs are raised on a fire grate, and use birch twigs and fatwood to get it going.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:57 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I had to move away from the duraflame logs. I've had more smoke-outs with those than anything I've ever used. Cleanest burn I get, is with properly seasoned hardwood from trees I've removed from the yard, and seasoned over a year. Very little smoke, and burn very well.

I still have some duraflame logs on hand. I've used them in firepits in the yard, where I tend to use wetter wood that I won't use in the house.

Personally, I love having a wood-burning fireplace. Anytime I'm parked in front of the TV in the living room, I burn a few logs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House