Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

You could also put new brick on the sided area and paint it all, then the matching will not be an issue. But honestly, that's going to be a huge expense and depending on how the wall was built, might not be feasible. I definitely would not put siding over the brick you do have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 PM

60 posts, read 20,485 times

Change upstairs windows (I couldn't clone the arches), brick veneer, remove porch railing, add sidelight windows to door, brick veneer at doorway, more foundation plants.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
It's rather evident that the framing for the second story cantilevers over the brick- that why the siding overlaps/is flush with the brick. So, there ain't gonna be any brick being added to the upper section of the front elevation.

Keep dreamin'...

Old 01-17-2014, 04:31 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's rather evident that the framing for the second story cantilevers over the brick- that why the siding overlaps/is flush with the brick. So, there ain't gonna be any brick being added to the upper section of the front elevation.

Keep dreamin'...
Unless you go with something like this.

NOVABRIK -> Welcome

I have seen this product on an entire house and until you get close enough to realize there is no mortar, you cannot tell it is not a conventional brick structure.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autrevie View Post

Change upstairs windows (I couldn't clone the arches), brick veneer, remove porch railing, add sidelight windows to door, brick veneer at doorway, more foundation plants.
That's a huge improvement! If all brick is arched like the bottom windows, it would be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Keep dreamin'...
That's not evident. The siding looks very flush compared to houses that have second story cantilevers.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not evident. The siding looks very flush compared to houses that have second story cantilevers.
Even if it is flush, there is no ledge to lay conventional brick on. The brick veneer is thicker than the siding so if they are flush, the wall on the upstairs sits on top of the brick.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autrevie View Post

Wow...MUCH better. Two windows up top give it a lot more balance. The shrubs help a lot too. I like the windows beside the door...I would just change to a wooden door with maybe a brass kicker plate. Any way to keep the two windows and change the color of the siding to a shade closer to the brick color? Something like this but different color (don't laugh at my paint skills).

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 10-07-2014 at 02:20 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 PM

You need to know what type of siding. If it's aluminum, you can paint it. Not all vinyl siding can be painted.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Even if it is flush, there is no ledge to lay conventional brick on. The brick veneer is thicker than the siding so if they are flush, the wall on the upstairs sits on top of the brick.
I don't think it's that flush. They wouldn't build a wall on a brick façade. I'm sure they can build the bright right on top of the existing brick. Even if they can't, they can build a support. I've seen it done. There is nothing that can't be bricked.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:30 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Linda, It's rather disturbing that you feel the need to carry over into other threads with very hateful comments. I personally have no ill will toward you. I would hope that as an adult you can see how others may perceive your comments.

As I said, this is not my home. It is a foreclosure that is currently for sale. My home is a single story and much smaller than this ~2400 sq ft home. I haven't even been inside this house.
Right.

Don't worry, I won't rat on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House