U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about glue traps?
They are horrible, barbaric tool! They should be outlawed! 42 66.67%
I admit they are pretty cruel, though not against using them. 10 15.87%
I love them! Don't care about the cruelty. 11 17.46%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 AM

44 posts, read 27,041 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I recently read another thread that inspired me to make this one. I'm not sure how many of you have heard about glue traps, or have used them but I'd like to see a consensus on them.

A few years ago I did not know they even existed; until my workplace started using them. I would come into the office one day, to find a little mouse superglued to a sheet of plastic. Its back legs were broken, its fur and skin ripped from several places. The poor thing was still alive, because it was trying to chew its own leg off to get away. The trap was covered in its poo and pee, so it must have been suffering there all night, struggling mightily hard. Needless to say, I put it in a plastic bag and put it out of its misery with a large brick outside. I know someone who have stepped on these before, and they said it was extremely hard to get off so I couldn't imagine what it's like for a creature with more delicate/thinner skin.

I told my boss about how gruesome it was, and he agreed to remove them and use a combination of live and snapping traps. Most of my co-workers sympathised, except a few who said that they would have just thrown the animal in the rubbish bin. I found that gobsmackingly heartless and cruel, and thought they were just joking. Turns out that a lot of people who use these traps, do the same thing. See a wounded/injured animal in clear distress, and do nothing to alleviate its pain but just throw it out in the garbage like it wasn't a living creature.

And that's what really disturbs me the most about these things, that people would not just actually use them, but to put an animal through that much torture. I actually questioned how is this actual legal, surely it would break the most common and basic animal cruelty laws? But here we have them being sold and distributed to squeamish, indifferent or sadistic people who aren't responsible enough of performing humane euthanasia. These traps don't just capture, they hold and hold the animal until it dies trying to escape by either disfiguring itself or starving to death. I cannot comprehend how these are not banned in any country with decent animal cruelty laws, and would like to call themselves "civilized".

I do not see how practical they are, either, when other factors such as dust and temperature can negate them. In addition to the animal escaping, there is also the factor of hygiene. They seem a lot more unsanitary than any other trap because the animal is so scared that they poo and pee more, bleed and probably splash it around from struggling.

Have we become so morally decadent that we shouldn't care about how much pain and suffering an animal we trap ourselves go through, because it might be easier and more convenient? People might regard them as pests but they can't help what they are; they shouldn't be tortured or painfully killed because of it. Killing any animal should be done swiftly and with respect - though it seems people who use them lack this kind of respect. And it's not the "let the wee little mousies live, they have families" respect, it's the "don't be an ass by dragging out something's pain when killing it" respect.

Personally, I think they should not be allowed to be sold to the general public. Most people are clueless and only care about themselves, or don't have the stones to directly kill an animal themselves. So a trap designed to keep them alive for an indeterminate period of time is a bad idea, especially if the trap instructions tell people to just discard the animal to the bin even if it's alive. Whos bright idea was to create what I'd call medieval torture devices, a SAW for rodents? Let's not forget, other animals can fall prey to it as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:13 AM

161 posts, read 287,804 times
I completely agree. It sickens me to think of animals suffering in that way. The sad fact is that many people don't consider rats worthy of humane treatment.
I was heartened to see that in my homeland (NZ) they have been made illegal, thanks to efforts by the SPCA

Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 AM

10,416 posts, read 13,571,252 times
People who do this deseve the same. They're foul and evil.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 AM

5,487 posts, read 3,751,115 times
I had mice getting into one of my cars. They got into the headliner and built a nest and it was driving me crazy (I had already ripped out the heater box - took me forever to figure out it was in the headliner).

Anyway, I went to buy traps and saw the glue traps. Figured they'd be easy - I'd find a dead mouse - hopefully more - and toss the whole thing. Of course what I found was what you described. It was still alive and had suffered immensely. As mad as I was over the damage to my car, I was heartbroken that I had caused all this pain and suffering.

I tossed all the other traps unused. Absolutely horrible product.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 AM

6,554 posts, read 6,292,703 times
Whatever scientist invented these torture devices should experience a human sized one. I agree, they should be banned.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 1,604,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySlu View Post
Hey guys,

I recently read another thread that inspired me to make this one. I'm not sure how many of you have heard about glue traps, or have used them but I'd like to see a consensus on them.

A few years ago I did not know they even existed; until my workplace started using them. I would come into the office one day, to find a little mouse superglued to a sheet of plastic. Its back legs were broken, its fur and skin ripped from several places. The poor thing was still alive, because it was trying to chew its own leg off to get away. The trap was covered in its poo and pee, so it must have been suffering there all night, struggling mightily hard. Needless to say, I put it in a plastic bag and put it out of its misery with a large brick outside. I know someone who have stepped on these before, and they said it was extremely hard to get off so I couldn't imagine what it's like for a creature with more delicate/thinner skin.

I told my boss about how gruesome it was, and he agreed to remove them and use a combination of live and snapping traps. Most of my co-workers sympathised, except a few who said that they would have just thrown the animal in the rubbish bin. I found that gobsmackingly heartless and cruel, and thought they were just joking. Turns out that a lot of people who use these traps, do the same thing. See a wounded/injured animal in clear distress, and do nothing to alleviate its pain but just throw it out in the garbage like it wasn't a living creature.

And that's what really disturbs me the most about these things, that people would not just actually use them, but to put an animal through that much torture. I actually questioned how is this actual legal, surely it would break the most common and basic animal cruelty laws? But here we have them being sold and distributed to squeamish, indifferent or sadistic people who aren't responsible enough of performing humane euthanasia. These traps don't just capture, they hold and hold the animal until it dies trying to escape by either disfiguring itself or starving to death. I cannot comprehend how these are not banned in any country with decent animal cruelty laws, and would like to call themselves "civilized".

I do not see how practical they are, either, when other factors such as dust and temperature can negate them. In addition to the animal escaping, there is also the factor of hygiene. They seem a lot more unsanitary than any other trap because the animal is so scared that they poo and pee more, bleed and probably splash it around from struggling.

Have we become so morally decadent that we shouldn't care about how much pain and suffering an animal we trap ourselves go through, because it might be easier and more convenient? People might regard them as pests but they can't help what they are; they shouldn't be tortured or painfully killed because of it. Killing any animal should be done swiftly and with respect - though it seems people who use them lack this kind of respect. And it's not the "let the wee little mousies live, they have families" respect, it's the "don't be an ass by dragging out something's pain when killing it" respect.

Personally, I think they should not be allowed to be sold to the general public. Most people are clueless and only care about themselves, or don't have the stones to directly kill an animal themselves. So a trap designed to keep them alive for an indeterminate period of time is a bad idea, especially if the trap instructions tell people to just discard the animal to the bin even if it's alive. Whos bright idea was to create what I'd call medieval torture devices, a SAW for rodents? Let's not forget, other animals can fall prey to it as well.
I absolutely agree with you. I used one of them once a few years ago and found a mouse stuck to one absolutely exausted from trying to free itself. It made me feel so barbaric for using it, I spent 15 minutes trying to free the little guy and just let him go outside. It's impossible to free a mouse from one of these sticky traps, absolutely impossible. I tried everything possible and was not able to free him.

I finally put him out of his misery and I will NEVER use one of those barbaric torture devices again. I am in no way shape or form against trapping mice using a snap trap or someother device that kills them immediately and without protracted pain and agony.....but anyone who uses one of these sticky devices once they have seen an exausted frantic mouse being tortured by this device is cruel beyong belief.

It does make me wonder about the thought process and lack of humanity of the guy who thought these up, as well as the companies that continue to manufacture them....he/she/they must be a real class act....NOT.

Just use the good old reliable snap traps and kill them in a quick and humane way.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 15,580,311 times
Add me to, used it once, had to put the poor guy out of his misery, will never ever use one again.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM

315 posts, read 539,360 times
I have never used one though I can't say I would either. I would likely buy those little humane traps. My neighbor used one once and accidently caught a snake in it. The poor guy was still alive. I think he tried to get it off and managed to without much pain (not much skin coming off but enough) - said he'd never use them again The snake slithered off though. I don't like them.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,141,549 times
Tri-State Bird Rescue (Newark, DE) posted this to Facebook today, along with a picture of the poor bird that was trapped:

Quote:
Sticky traps can be a menace to unsuspecting birds looking for a tasty insect treat. Animals caught on these inhumane traps die of dehydration or exhaustion trying to free themselves, and those lucky enough to escape often suffer severe skin or feather damage. On November 12, a homeowner found an adult Carolina wren on such a trap in his garage. The wren had suffered minor abrasions, but most body feathers were intact. With supportive care and cage rest, the bird began to heal. Once the wren was self-feeding and becoming more active, we moved it to an outside cage. By December 9, the bird demonstrated excellent flight skills, and we were able to release it back in the area where it was found—now a sticky trap-free zone.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,394,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I absolutely agree with you. I used one of them once a few years ago and found a mouse stuck to one absolutely exausted from trying to free itself. It made me feel so barbaric for using it, I spent 15 minutes trying to free the little guy and just let him go outside. It's impossible to free a mouse from one of these sticky traps, absolutely impossible. I tried everything possible and was not able to free him.

I finally put him out of his misery and I will NEVER use one of those barbaric torture devices again. I am in no way shape or form against trapping mice using a snap trap or someother device that kills them immediately and without protracted pain and agony.....but anyone who uses one of these sticky devices once they have seen an exausted frantic mouse being tortured by this device is cruel beyong belief.

It does make me wonder about the thought process and lack of humanity of the guy who thought these up, as well as the companies that continue to manufacture them....he/she/they must be a real class act....NOT.

Just use the good old reliable snap traps and kill them in a quick and humane way.
Not true. Mineral oil will get them right out. So will corn oil. Olive oil. Sesame oil. Truffle oil. Peanut oil. Many options. Or you can just kill it.

That said, if you want to get rid of glue traps, you'll want to get rid of warfarin when you read about the kill mechanism, then "band" traps, then kinetic traps and, finally, cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House