Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 PM

324 posts, read 882,969 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the great opinions, everyone! There are so many different vacuums on the market, I think I'll need to do some serious research. Unfortunately, this isn't the most interesting topic to research! I'm really intrigued by the intellashiled technology, especially with the recent mold problems in my building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
I have a Dyson and really like it

Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Has anyone had a Roomba for like more then a year and have a report on how it holds up? Short of having a maid to vacuum daily they sound like a wonderful idea. It could be going all the time at my house with three cats, a small dog and a 10 year old.

I am also curious about why the Dyson isn't liked. I used one while I was in the UK and it worked well but I don't have a lengthy amount of experience with it. I would be VERY upset if I paid that much money for a vacuum cleaner and it didn't work well.

For now, I have my rainbow and a sore back. I make my daughter help me which she gets sick of. One of the things I do like about the water tank on the rainbow is that I can run it through the top rack of the dishwasher just to make sure its really clean, yes I am a little OCD.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Consumer's report didn't like the Dyson's very well. I tend to trust them because they do real side by side comparisons. I followed their recommendation for the Eureka Boss (pet hair is an issue for me) and was very pleased at much less cost. I've also read that no vacuum is worth more than about $600. Any higher cost is a marketing ploy.

My mother had a Rainbow and swore by it. Consumer's reports didn't rate it very high either, especially in the air filter area which its water gimmick is supposed to address. I hated that thing. A PIA to use, worse to clean, and mediocre at cleaning. Plus it was ridiculously expensive. She now has the Eureka Boss is pleased with it.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I have the Dyson Animal DC14. I think it works great on pet hair and on bare floors. I don't like how heavy it is, how noisy it is nor the amount of heat it puts out. I was told that my type of vaccum works well on berber carpet, which is what I currently have. But I want new carpet next year. I want to get Frieze carpet but I'm afraid my Dyson will eat it. I need to do more research first.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM

218 posts, read 1,462,399 times
Kirby and Rainbow are both good BUT very expensive! I would NEVER pay what the saleman ask, because then you pay him, his driver, his distributor and last but not least kirby or rainbow themselves. They are INCREDIBLY MARKED UP.
I have a kirby but did not buy from a salesman. I picked 1 up (about brand new) at a pawn shop for 150.00.
Would do it again too! JMO

Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have the Dyson Animal DC14. I think it works great on pet hair and on bare floors. I don't like how heavy it is, how noisy it is nor the amount of heat it puts out. I was told that my type of vaccum works well on berber carpet, which is what I currently have. But I want new carpet next year. I want to get Frieze carpet but I'm afraid my Dyson will eat it. I need to do more research first.
I have the Dyson Animal DC15, and it's fabulous. I've never noticed any problems with heat. This newer model has the "Ball," which makes it very easy to maneuver.

We have Frieze carpet in three of our rooms, and the Dyson works like a charm - no damage at all.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
My rainbow was a gift, I would never have purchased it for myself but for now its what I have. I have a regular vacuum cleaner but it has lost its suction even after replacing the filter, its pretty worthless. I'm not sure whether to just throw it out or take it and see if it can be fixed, it would be nice to have something a little easier to use then the rainbow.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Kirby man, kirby. Yes if you buy it from the sales rep, they will rip you off over $1000-$2000

Look for it on ebay, try to get the G4 series / newest one. I use my to shampoo my carpet. Even though now since I replaced majority of my carpet w/ wood floors I still use it to clean kids room, stairs and upstairs hallways. I also use it to clean the wood floor dust.

I used to own a dirtdevil. Compared to the test of the Kirby, I was really amazed what it picks up and whats all the sick crud in the carpet. YUCK!!

Get the kirby, its solid machine and will last for ever!!

Do the baking soda powder test. Rub in in your carpet and use your Dyson or Eurka cleaners and run it 20-40 times see if it picks it up.

Then do the same on the kirby. The kirby will get it all out within the first 4-10 rolls over it. All I know if you 'get what you pay for'

Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM

448 posts, read 1,049,669 times
Like the Dyson, but hate the attachments. Too fussy switching stuff around. I am on my second Rhoomba and love it, but this one is dying too. Batteries only last a little over a year and then they won't hold charge. . New batteries are spendy, but you can do an out of warranty exchange and get a new (reconditioned) Rhoomba for near the same price as just a new battery. It is a must if you have shedding pets. Use it everyday, often several times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House