Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times

Advertisements

House is a contender - except for the indoor pool.

Pool is in "porch, enclosed, finished" 665 sf space which is integral to the house. Shares common wall with 1/2 bath, mud and laundry room. Shared roofing material as well. Was built with the house.

Pool is 364 sq ft, roughly 50 inches deep with acrylic hot tub in one corner. Gunite.

It's a very nice pool - but I could use the space for much more important purposes.... and the smell of chlorine - P.U!

I'm assuming since there's a septic system I'd probably have to have the water pumped out by truck... then all the demo, fill, etc. I'd like it all filled in and topped with stamped concrete for a 3 season room.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Why not just build a floor over it? It's a whole lot cheaper and you still have the amenity for future use or resale.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:15 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Plus you could invest in a trap door for boorish guests.

"Now that I have you alone, I want to talk with you about Jes....!!!" *splash*

"Just wanted to see if you could walk on water..."

Or how about a sound system and boom box with a variety of effects?

MIL comes to stay for a week -
"Did I tell you the house is haunted?" *thump* *screech* *devilish chortle*

Daughter's first date starts making out -
"Julie. This is the lord. I'm watching you!"

Party going on in the room that is getting too loud -
*bump* *bump* *bump* "HEY up there! We're trying to sleep down here, do you MIND???"

Old 01-19-2014, 04:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Firstly if the pool is not already equipped with a saltwater/ionization type disinfection system that is now a very common and non-costly option that had nowhere near the stink of chlorine / bromine type system. I'd be a little surprised that a lap pool was not equipped with this today...

Secondly I have seen several very slick "systems" for building a platform in the space where a pool was. It essentially like a below grade scaffold that can have a full weight bearing floor over the pool. Should anyone want to go back to using the pool down the road this is a great option...

Finally, since the OP states this was built when the house was constructed I would be extra concerned that any modifications also consider potential access for utilities -- you get some good concreting this area and then you need to repair a shared water or drainline and the costs skyrocket ...

Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Yes, best to get the house plans and see what plumbing or electrical is under the walkway around the pool. You might want to take the plans to an architect to see what all may need to be disconnected / removed / rerouted.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Yes, best to get the house plans and see what plumbing or electrical is under the walkway around the pool. You might want to take the plans to an architect to see what all may need to be disconnected / removed / rerouted.
Went to Town Hall this morning and pulled the old permits. I have a call into the GC - who I happen to know.

Plumbing to pool is coming through shared wall with bath/laundry (southside). That I could see. There's only about 18 inches of surround between pool and the wall on that side. Electrical I'll bet is run from the south wall to and through the west wall to the north - none of which would be touched. North wall being closest to the ceiling fans.

Gosh it would be easiest if I could just cap off the plumbing, get rid of the pool works and fill the pool with concrete. All I want is solid cement and a 3 season porch.

Of note, the owners have been trying to sell since 2011! House taken off market in August and relisted last week. Outdoor pools are not big selling points in my market....and indoor.......not at all. Actually both are negatives - especially the indoor with our expensive utility rates.

So other than getting rid of the pool and re-doing the master bath ( UGLY - done in a river rock motif!) the house is fine. Getting rid of the pool would also cut $1000 off the property taxes.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 541 times
Long shot to revive this thread. I have a similar issue and wondering if there was ever a solution or if chet Everett is still around to discuss the "slick" platform systems he's seen.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2023, 02:02 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish1000 View Post
Long shot to revive this thread. I have a similar issue and wondering if there was ever a solution or if chet Everett is still around to discuss the "slick" platform systems he's seen.

Thanks!
Neither the OP nor chet everett have posted on these boards since 2020 so I'm guessing that your chances are slim to none.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:22 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
The March of Dimes organization had a pool installed at the White House for Franklin Roosevelt. The pool is still there, but in 1969 noted bowler and probable non-swimmer Richard Nixon had the pool converted to a room for press briefings. The pool is still there under the James S Brady Press Briefing Room; it's used for housing various electronic devices for the White House press corps.

Look it up, it appears that the solution was to simply drain the pool, build some supporting structures, and then put floor joists over the structures.

https://twitter.com/JasonWhitely/sta...85495306211335

https://www.cnn.com/2012/05/27/polit...ool/index.html

Old 10-26-2023, 11:12 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
An ancient thread, but if it comes up again for anyone else, I advise to try it for awhile before you fill it in. Swimming is good low impact exercise and if it is a real swim lane, long enough to actually swim, it is nothing like owning a backyard swimming pool that isn't really big enough to swim in and that has friends and neighbors wanting to drop by and lay around in the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House