Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM

267 posts, read 352,010 times

Advertisements

Hi I have an older home with an unfinished basement. Down in the basment, out in the open, is a toilet. It works fine but it's in the open. no privacy, just there lol. I'm looking for ideas on how to maybe enclose it or give it some privacy so it's a bit more functional. I don't mind using it but hwo could I ever ask a guest to use it like this lol. Any ideas? I don't think I can finish the basement becasue the height of the ceiling is lower than what is required (it's just over 6 ft hi and with pipes and beam probably closer to just under 6 ft in many spots. )

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Tough to say HOW to remodel without photos of what you have to work with....

Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Treat it like an outhouse? Simple framing w/ reused barnwood or tongue & groove pine wainscotting (comes in 32" & 8'0" lengths at Lowe's/HD) or old doors side by side for walls. Heck, one could put bookcases or storage cubes around the toilet (with their backsides toward the toilet)...but attach them to framing for stability.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Why would you ask guests to use it? Is it your only toilet?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM

267 posts, read 352,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why would you ask guests to use it? Is it your only toilet?
Well if i have guests overnight or throw a party its nice to have a second toilet in case its needed you know. How do I post pics? Do I need to host them somewhere?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcip View Post
Any ideas? I don't think I can finish the basement becasue...
Any suggestions are appreciated!
I'm confused.
What more than building a few walls to enclose it and perhaps adding a sink is needed?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
You can make do with screens. My local art store carries furniture and has some beautiful screens.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Living in Pittsburgh, I've encountered many of these basement toilets.

I hated the ones someone built outhouse type walls around. They're often dark and the walls are usually too close to the toilet. The material the walls are made of is usually not appropriate so it feels moldy and dirty. If you do it, you'll need to make sure you use metal studs and concrete board for the walls so it doesn't get musty. Lighting is important too.

I don't think you need to do anything. One of my high school girlfriends had a toilet and a shower in the laundry room of her finished basement. It was all finished. The majority of the basement was a family room. The laundry room was about 15' x 15'. It felt weird to use the toilet or take a shower in there because the room was so big. (The shower head was right above the floor drain in the middle of the room so there was no shower curtain needed.) But I was comfortable because the door was locked. Basically, I'm saying to put a latch on the basement side of your basement door so your guests feel comfortable knowing nobody else will be walking in unannounced.

It just seems silly to walk through an unfinished basement to a small little finished bathroom stall. There's really no way to dress up a basement toilet without it looking tacky. Basement toilets are tacky by nature. Don't try to make them what they're not.

btw, we have a basement toilet. We haven't used it in the 22 years I've lived in this house.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcip View Post
Well if i have guests overnight or throw a party its nice to have a second toilet in case its needed you know. How do I post pics? Do I need to host them somewhere?
You don't send your guests to the basement toilet. Trust me on this.

There's nothing wrong with people waiting to use the real bathroom.

No need to post pics. I have a basement toilet.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm confused.
What more than building a few walls to enclose it and perhaps adding a sink is needed?
Now you're getting fancy wanting an extra sink. The sink is the utility sink next to the washing machine. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House