Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 AM

77 posts, read 201,410 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to replace the bathroom vanity. We're almost there but the problem is the new sink's drain pipe not aligning with the pipe that leads into the p trap and into the wall.

I went to home depot and paid $5 for a flexible accordian pipe but even if it did work, i wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it there due to potential clogging and ripping (the material is super cheap). What are the easiest options here?

The contractor i was using wanted to charge an extra $150 to make this work through cutting the pipe sticking out of the wall.

Unaligned Pipes for Bathroom Sink-imag1168.jpg

Unaligned Pipes for Bathroom Sink-imag1169.jpg

Unaligned Pipes for Bathroom Sink-imag1170.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
The first elbow from the wall is glued? You'd have to cut it off, use a hacksaw. Get a new elbow, do a dry fit and cut more pipe if necessary. Once you have good fit prime and glue both the elbow and pipe and push it on. Hold it in place for about 10 seconds becsue they have a tendency to want to push back out as the glue reacts. It sets extremely fast and can be used immediately so be sure you have it on there right when you push it on. Cost you about $15 but only becsue you need to buy the glue and primer along with the elbow. Get the smallest bottles they have, they can be good for years.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-01-2015 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 11:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimes703 View Post
the new sink's drain pipe not aligning with the pipe that leads into the p trap and into the wall.
Then you have to adjust the pipe/fitting. (fwiw few ever do align 100%)

Quote:
The contractor i was using wanted to charge an extra $150 to make this work
through cutting the pipe sticking out of the wall.
That's the way to do it right...
making those connections last in the sequence.

Set the trap to the tailpiece...
extend the trap arm back toward the wall.
make up the hi/lo or left/right adjustment needed at the wall
to get the trap assembly to connected to the stub out.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 AM

77 posts, read 201,410 times
Not sure. I will take a wrench and try twisting it off.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
A wrench on what? The first elbow coming off the wall that is pointing down is probably glued becsue I don't see any compression fittings. The only way you can get that off is to cut it off.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 PM

One other thing, if you do cut it then cut is as close to the elbow as you can. You can always take more off.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Recipe for disaster...

Quote:
No offense, but "taking a wrench" to a GLUED PVC fitting / pipe is NOT going to end well.

The general setup for an "in vanity" drain connection is that you should DRY FIT everything and plan on rotating the trap to align to the tail piece. There are LOTS of videos about how to do this properly. There is really no reason to GLUE any part of the tailpiece or trap. The most common bathroom traps are set up with ridges so you can loosen / tighten these by hand to retrieve a dropped piece of jewelery / clear hair clogs . This is not perfect but it shows both the proper type of trap and the typical amount of offset --

The only time you would open up the wall and align the drain to be centered is in installations where the trap is exposed -- the "floating sinks" without a cabinet style vanity are most often done this way... Honestly there is no reason to do this unless you have the fancy chrome exposed trap. In such a case you would have all the pieces on hand prior to doing "rough-in" for the plumbing. Ideally the plumber you hire for this kind of work is borderline OCD -- you want somebody that measures everything half a dozen times before they make a single cut. Lots of mainstream plumbing shops HATE this kind of work as it is going to result in a very high charge based on hourly rates. Believe it or not most plumber do not like giving clients very large labor bills but if the idea is you want some "zen symmetry" style exposed wall hung sink even being 1/4" away from the centerline is going to ruin the look...

Last edited by chet everett; 01-01-2015 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House